• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Do you guys not find that wood does not hold true over time I ended up build my sub base from steel.
I would say if it is lightly built with no supports, then yes they degrade. I had one years ago that became oil soaked, beat on and largely abused. It did start to sag in the non supported areas. But that was in my auto shop. This one is graciously supported with 5 laterally placed supports side to side. With six legs equalizing the load over the 96" length with two sheets of 7/16" OSB as the work surface, I doubt with just building a structure of a mere 10-20 pounds is going to have any adverse effects. The next table I build will have 4x4 legs with 360 degree casters. I will also use 1-1/2" "L" angle for the top work surface to keep it straight. I want to put shelves and drawers in it as well. A friend of mine built one similar to what I am describing. But his is tiny. He uses his for assembling...ugh, foamies. Lmao
hearty-laugh.gif

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I would say if it is lightly built with no supports, then yes they degrade. I had one years ago that became oil soaked, beat on and largely abused. It did start to sag in the non supported areas. But that was in my auto shop. This one is graciously supported with 5 laterally placed supports side to side. With six legs equalizing the load over the 96" length with two sheets of 7/16" OSB as the work surface, I doubt with just building a structure of a mere 10-20 pounds is going to have any adverse effects. The next table I build will have 4x4 legs with 360 degree casters. I will also use 1-1/2" "L" angle for the top work surface to keep it straight. I want to put shelves and drawers in it as well. A friend of mine built one similar to what I am describing. But his is tiny. He uses his for assembling...ugh, foamies. Lmao
View attachment 107335
I agree with both of you Acerc and your self that at the time it is built it is perfectly flat square and everything else and no matter what model plane or size that we build it will not move or Chang the shape, flatness of the table. But wood is not a stable product and will change shape and length over time as it absorbs moisture or dries and it will warp depending on where and how the grain runs. That is why I said over time or years it will change that is all that I was trying to convey, because my first table did start to change shape over time.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
That may be true if the table is not in a stable environment. Mine is in a controlled environment, temps stay around 76 and the heat/cool units dehumidify as part of their operation. My smaller table, 2'x6', it is at least ten years old and still like new.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
View attachment 107335

My Table does more than just foamies :lol2:

20181210-140206.JPG

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Got around to modifying the 50cc canister in hopes it will let the DJ72 run better. I simply drilled two 11/16" holes in two of three baffle plates internally and shortened the "stinger" outlet. I blew through it and blew through another one just like it and found the resistance to be much less!. I know this is not very "scientific" but this airframe (Alien Extra) has me shooting from the hip :cautious:.

Got a bit cold outside this week but hope to run it and see if I can get a good tune on it in a day or two. Hope to fly it this Wednesday for the first time with the DJ72 on it.

20181210-122536.JPG
20181210-122636.JPG
20181210-122816.JPG

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Got around to modifying the 50cc canister in hopes it will let the DJ72 run better. I simply drilled two 11/16" holes in two of three baffle plates internally and shortened the "stinger" outlet. I blew through it and blew through another one just like it and found the resistance to be much less!. I know this is not very "scientific" but this airframe (Alien Extra) has me shooting from the hip :cautious:.

Got a bit cold outside this week but hope to run it and see if I can get a good tune on it in a day or two. Hope to fly it this Wednesday for the first time with the DJ72 on it.

View attachment 107362 View attachment 107363 View attachment 107364
Wow that is drastic, two big holes that should do the job. Be interesting to see how loud it is.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Wow that is drastic, two big holes that should do the job. Be interesting to see how loud it is.

I will make a short video. The sound capture on the Hero 5 session is as good as the imaging! I really don't expect it to be much louder than it was. We'll see. Hope to run it tomorrow.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I will make a short video. The sound capture on the Hero 5 session is as good as the imaging! I really don't expect it to be much louder than it was. We'll see. Hope to run it tomorrow.
Just looking at the pictures you have two there and it is a single what gives.