• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I would like to know you do this neat way to adjust the engine, always time to learn something new.

Nothing new. You probably know :sneaky:. Involves adjusting the regulator a tad to achieve best idle and transition. As a matter of fact that is the only way (regulator/pump) to adjust the DZ series engines. The air bleed is "fixed" no needle to adjust. Note the hole only in the throttle barrel of the 140DZ. The only difference is on the DZ series you turn the regulator/pump clockwise to richen. On the older FZ the regulator gets turned counter clockwise to richen. Mainly did this for high nitro (30%) use.
lg-855458-1-4978.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I took my cowl and cuff to work with me today and gave it the finger. :yesss:

Actually I used my finger to smear on some Dolphin Glaze. Sometimes there is just no replacement for you first digit. After it cured I sanded it with some 120. I'll smooth it off with some 220 before I get it ready to prime later today.

This is about the roughest ARF cowl I've seen. Here in all the florescent lights he weave of the cloth is totally visible, not to mention badly prepped. To make it look good I would need to sand and prime the whole thing and repaint both colors. I'm not going to go through all that for this airplane.

The last photo shows a spot in the paint on top of the cowl that looks like a bug did the backstroke before being plucked out.:lol2:

20180720_112855_resized.jpg
20180720_112905_resized.jpg
20180720_122144_resized.jpg
20180717_204156_resized_1.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp

Actually I used my finger to smear on some Dolphin Glaze. Sometimes there is just no replacement for you first digit. After it cured I sanded it with some 120. I'll smooth it off with some 220 before I get it ready to prime later today.

This is about the roughest ARF cowl I've seen. Here in all the florescent lights he weave of the cloth is totally visible, not to mention badly prepped. To make it look good I would need to sand and prime the whole thing and repaint both colors. I'm not going to go through all that for this airplane.

The last photo shows a spot in the paint on top of the cowl that looks like a bug did the backstroke before being plucked out.:lol2:

View attachment 104421 View attachment 104422 View attachment 104423 View attachment 104424

It never stops to amaze me how much time we invest into these planes. It is really a sickness. Just the time I have spent helping a buddy mount and engine onto a plane is just crazy. If I had spent the time at work earning money I could of bought 2 new planes. We are a crazy bunch but we all love doing.
O by the way when looking at the cowl stand far back and take your glasses off and turn the lights off and it will look perfect.

Alky6

150cc

View attachment 104421 View attachment 104422 View attachment 104423 View attachment 104424
Looking good Doug! Is the Dolphin Glaze a two part?

Also, I finally got up the courage to sand out the run on my cowl. Thanks for the advice. Only took me a year or so to get to it. LOL. Before and after below. (Actually... after and before)

5789A7F0-AB31-4309-B843-996686147050.jpeg
FDC40C52-776A-423A-B7B6-CC9BA9B8EF11.jpeg

pawnshopmike

Staff member
It never stops to amaze me how much time we invest into these planes. It is really a sickness. Just the time I have spent helping a buddy mount and engine onto a plane is just crazy. If I had spent the time at work earning money I could of bought 2 new planes. We are a crazy bunch but we all love doing.
O by the way when looking at the cowl stand far back and take your glasses off and turn the lights off and it will look perfect.

It’s not just a hobby. It’s a lifestyle. :way_to_go:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Got the Capacitors in. Has helped reduce the flutter in the elevator servos during up and down travel but it is still there just a little bit. Just plugged them into channel 8 and 9 ports of the AR9140T Rx for now. Hope to get some flights especially with the new engine. Not looking good though supposed to set record high temps this weekend :ugh:. With this in mind I went and removed the cowl so I will go ahead and make some cylinder baffles for the engine this weekend. Not really needed on the :alien: plane..but hey..It's what we do :cool:.

0721180047-00.jpg 0721180048-00.jpg 0721180048-01.jpg 0721180122-00.jpg