• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
They should hold fine. Will see when it flies if the time spent pays off. Must have spent 8 hours or so just working on the door and window. I use two magnets per location. There are four total on the door and two in the window. And they are very strong magnets. Cobalt I believe. I also put on a new hinge system for the window and installed it so it affords resistance and stays put in any position. The trick was to get it so there is no "spring back" from the hinges being folded over when closed. Having to do all this so it "mimics" a real Cub on the inside too. I don't know how well it will turn out but this picture is my "template" to follow. My color and sheen will be a satin red and flat black. The foot plates and pedals on mine will be a tad back because of ignition and engine servos. There will also be a false bulk head that will have the end of a scale looking gas tank attached covering the end of the engines gas tank.
View attachment 102368
Just like I said before he is working on a museum piece. By the time he is finished he will not dare to fly it

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Got a start on the rudder this morning. Kind of stuck need the wing tube and the stabilizer tube complete with sleeves on the hunt but in the meantime I got a start on the rudder.
9BA355F9-181F-44A3-97E7-F3D4BFB16E01.jpeg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Dang bro. You’re gonna have that baby ready for Top Gun 2018!

Just like I said before he is working on a museum piece. By the time he is finished he will not dare to fly it

Don't think a Sig clipped wing is Top Gun material or worthy of a museum. Maybe more like Flea Market Auction or hanging up in a Bar and Grille :cheers:. lol. But thanks a bunches you two:).

Now that's not to say a Cub can't win in Top Gun though! Graeme Mears did it in 2003 with his PA18 Super Cub.

Attachments

• Mears.pdf
    219.7 KB · Views: 344

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well the rudder is built, sanded and drilled just needs to be covered. The weight of the rudder is 1.87 oz that’s not bad for a rudder that is over 20 inch tall. Now I will build the elevators.
Got the wing tube ordered complete with a sleeve from GraphTec in California, they did not have 3/8 tube or sleeves did find a 3/8 tube but still on the hunt for a 3/8 ID sleeve.
5EE5267D-3655-4F1F-B999-7133FBFA0121.jpeg

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Don't think a Sig clipped wing is Top Gun material or worthy of a museum. Maybe more like Flea Market Auction or hanging up in a Bar and Grille :cheers:. lol. But thanks a bunches you two:).

Now that's not to say a Cub can't win in Top Gun though! Graeme Mears did it in 2003 with his PA18 Super Cub.
I had the pleasure of meeting Graeme Mears once a number years back. Nice gentleman we got talking at a flying club once and I did not 2 and 2 together. We then went out for lunch together and had a good time and discussed rc plane. Later that day a friend of mine said do you know who that is and said no why should I . Anyway it was the same person that won top gun with a cab. Yes lives just north of Toronto at the time he has workshop that is second to none. Haven’t heard from him or even see anything about him in the news or anywhere.
Just as a side note that cub have real operating disc brakes that worked that he made.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I had the pleasure of meeting Graeme Mears once a number years back. Nice gentleman we got talking at a flying club once and I did not 2 and 2 together. We then went out for lunch together and had a good time and discussed rc plane. Later that day a friend of mine said do you know who that is and said no why should I . Anyway it was the same person that won top gun with a cab. Yes lives just north of Toronto at the time he has workshop that is second to none. Haven’t heard from him or even see anything about him in the news or anywhere.
Just as a side note that cub have real operating disc brakes that worked that he made.

Not surprised. He and Dave Patrick both have been "reclusive" since that time. Dave flew the Cub for Graeme in Top Gun. When Dave left Goldberg Models and formed Dave Patrick Models he had what I thought was a good product line. But it was short lived. I think his 42% "competition" Edge was a bust because most competition guys where flying Carden's at the time or their own designs. And Dave as a competitor himself (although a decent RC pilot) just could not hit any top 3 spots with his Edge.