• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
A little more progress of the install of the 212 on the Behemoth Yak. Long days at work are slowing the process, but a little each day and I should have it ready to button up soon. First, the fuel system is complete now. New vent tubing on the air horns along with new 5/32" fuel tubing from the tank to the carb split "T". New 1/8" Tygon after the "T" feeding each carb.

20170508_201928.jpg

Next, four new NGK CM6 spark plugs gapped to .0185. One for each red head jug.

20170508_201947.jpg

I needed to do a quick mock install of the headers to see where they were going to line up. For what ever reason, I got these dang things headed right down the can tunnel. They're supposed to be like this, right? LOL. I just remember the last time I had this engine on the Yak way back last year, the exhaust was so far away from going straight down the can tunnel. I am going to lay odds that with the rebuild after the mishap last year, everything got put back the way it was supposed to be. I dunno. I will order up the L80 canisters tomorrow. Hopefully they will be here by the time I am ready to install them.

20170508_202159.jpg

After the quick check of the exhaust headers, I mounted the Taildragger RC Ignition Module "Vibra Mounts". I saved the bolt plate from the 210csts twin install. It layed back into it's original position.

20170508_205002.jpg

After the module mounts were installed, I installed the twin RC Excel Ignition Modules.

20170508_212527.jpg
20170508_212533.jpg

Once the module were in place, I went through the wiring to make sure everything was correct. Wouldn't you know it, I had the modules reversed of the order they needed to be in. In other words, front cylinders were being fed the spark from the rear cylinder hall sensor. Doah... No big. Simply change the location of the spark plug leads and swap Hall sensors connections. Now it is pretty much straight and all that needs to be done is tidy the wiring up. I am sure the way I have my ignitions wired is probably overkill, but I do like redundancy. Two 2600mah 7.4 Relions feeding two separate RC Excel ignition kill switches. Those two kill switches feeding two separated ignition modules. Each ignition module feeding a separate set of cylinders. I try to keep things organized so that later if I need to go back to something for what ever reason, It won't be a confusing mess. Example, Ignition battery #1 connects directly to ignition kill switch #1, (Which is the forward switch on top of the motor box) That kill switch controls the "RIGHT" ignition module. Which in turn delivers the spark to the forward cylinders. Battery #2 feeds the rear cylinders in the same type of configuration.

Tomorrow I will replace the 3w hall sensors with the RC Excel hall sensors. Then tidy up the wiring and that will do it for the engine install. If I had some sort of exhaust, I would probably start this thing tomorrow. :yesss:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Got a start on the covering. Covered the removable hatch and glued on the canopy. That is always one job I am apprehensive doing and seeing it is canopy that is not replaceable made that much more difficult. But it is done just needs little trim tape around the perimeter and it will look ok.

IMG_1622.JPG

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
A little more progress of the install of the 212 on the Behemoth Yak. Long days at work are slowing the process, but a little each day and I should have it ready to button up soon. First, the fuel system is complete now. New vent tubing on the air horns along with new 5/32" fuel tubing from the tank to the carb split "T". New 1/8" Tygon after the "T" feeding each carb.

View attachment 95681

Next, four new NGK CM6 spark plugs gapped to .0185. One for each red head jug.

View attachment 95682

I needed to do a quick mock install of the headers to see where they were going to line up. For what ever reason, I got these dang things headed right down the can tunnel. They're supposed to be like this, right? LOL. I just remember the last time I had this engine on the Yak way back last year, the exhaust was so far away from going straight down the can tunnel. I am going to lay odds that with the rebuild after the mishap last year, everything got put back the way it was supposed to be. I dunno. I will order up the L80 canisters tomorrow. Hopefully they will be here by the time I am ready to install them.

View attachment 95683

After the quick check of the exhaust headers, I mounted the Taildragger RC Ignition Module "Vibra Mounts". I saved the bolt plate from the 210csts twin install. It layed back into it's original position.

View attachment 95684

After the module mounts were installed, I installed the twin RC Excel Ignition Modules.

View attachment 95685 View attachment 95686

Once the module were in place, I went through the wiring to make sure everything was correct. Wouldn't you know it, I had the modules reversed of the order they needed to be in. In other words, front cylinders were being fed the spark from the rear cylinder hall sensor. Doah... No big. Simply change the location of the spark plug leads and swap Hall sensors connections. Now it is pretty much straight and all that needs to be done is tidy the wiring up. I am sure the way I have my ignitions wired is probably overkill, but I do like redundancy. Two 2600mah 7.4 Relions feeding two separate RC Excel ignition kill switches. Those two kill switches feeding two separated ignition modules. Each ignition module feeding a separate set of cylinders. I try to keep things organized so that later if I need to go back to something for what ever reason, It won't be a confusing mess. Example, Ignition battery #1 connects directly to ignition kill switch #1, (Which is the forward switch on top of the motor box) That kill switch controls the "RIGHT" ignition module. Which in turn delivers the spark to the forward cylinders. Battery #2 feeds the rear cylinders in the same type of configuration.

Tomorrow I will replace the 3w hall sensors with the RC Excel hall sensors. Then tidy up the wiring and that will do it for the engine install. If I had some sort of exhaust, I would probably start this thing tomorrow. :yesss:

Must say that is one good looking engine it would be on my dining room table being add mired. One thing looking at the length and the size of the motor hanging off the front of the plane it is big. The actual size of the mount on the motor just doesn't look that big. I know it is ok but when you look at it you just want to support the front.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Ran into a SNAFU with the ZDZ180 the past couple of weekends, engine would shut down in flight when I pulled the throttle stick back. Chased a number of possible scenarios last weekend before giving up, found out it was a loose throttle arm on the carb causing all of my problems :oblong:

I put threadlocker on the set screw for the arm and tightened back up, shouldn't come loose now. Finally got a little bit of time to fire it up last night, she started right up and purred like a kitten. Some things I need to do with the baffling tonight and it'll be ready to fly.

Again :D:rolleyes:

20170508_190750.jpg

If I had some sort of exhaust, I would probably start this thing tomorrow.

Open headers are an exhaust system ;)

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ran into a SNAFU with the ZDZ180 the past couple of weekends, engine would shut down in flight when I pulled the throttle stick back. Chased a number of possible scenarios last weekend before giving up, found out it was a loose throttle arm on the carb causing all of my problems :oblong:

I put threadlocker on the set screw for the arm and tightened back up, shouldn't come loose now. Finally got a little bit of time to fire it up last night, she started right up and purred like a kitten. Some things I need to do with the baffling tonight and it'll be ready to fly.

Again :D:rolleyes:

View attachment 95688

Open headers are an exhaust system ;)

It is in my neighborhood.:D
Oh trust and believe, I considered it an option.
double-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

Alky6

150cc
View attachment 95634 Got everything sanded and now it is on to covering. Didn't take to long do not like sanding and I only sand to 220 at best. Sanding and me do not like one another get clogged up and end up sneezing all day.
Hey snoopy, where did you get the cool landing gear at? Could use something like that for my profile I am building. Or I can get off my hiney and go cut and bend some aluminum... I am pretty cheap, so might be building, but like that gear none-the-less!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Looking at your engine I noticed that you are using another ignition. I was of the understanding that 3W used two magnets for timing control. How do make a single magnet pick up work.
Yes, I am using RC Excl ignitions on all my newer 3w engines. After I had problems with the original "updated" 3w module on my 157cs, I did some investigating and discovered the RC Excl actually improves performance and smooths out the midrange. I instantly gained over 400 rpm on the 157 and about 300 on the 170. Not to mention the throttle response is (and not even kidding) Ferrari fast. When the 3w "updated" ignition module on my 170 started doing the same thing as the 157, I didn't even question or wait. I promptly replaced it with an RC Excl as well. Same results as my 157. My friend Sam Noe in Missouri does the same thing to all his "dub" engines. He has had the same results. His 170cs, his 240...as well as his others. Even the big 210csts I sold him, he put RC Excl's on it and that motor literally wails now. So with the 212, it also got the same upgrade. As for the two magnets, Yes...all mine...(Except my 70 twin) has two magnets. The RC Excl only uses one magnet. The Green one for firing the plugs. The RC Excl totally ignores the red magnet. I bumped the timing on the 157 and the 170 about 3 degress. The 157 now twists an honest 6600 plus on the ground with a Falcon 32x10 CF. When it unloads in the air, it is mind boggling. As for punch out when I have the 260 bumping the rudder on the pavement then mash the gas, It lurches straight up an doesn't even break a sweat. Not to mention the sweetest and easiest starting engines I have ever layed a hand to a prop on. I am a firm believer in the RC Excl for the 3w engines. Especially since the o.e.m. 3w modules are a whopping 260.00 a piece. The RC Excl? A mere 69.00 bucks. Pretty much a no brainer decision for me. Better performance, quicker spool up, smoother running.... According to Milton of RC Extreme Power who sells the RC Excl ignition modules, he has about 200 DA and 3w owners contact him each month for ignition modules for their engines. As a side note it should be mentioned, the 3w ignition on my 157cs started giving me problems at about 35 flights. At 50, it was done. The 170 classic was about the same...30 I think. I didn't wait for it to fail. The 170 now has nearly 90 flights and the 157 approaching 150 and not a single hiccup.

I did get the RC Excl hall sensors mounted and timed on the 212 tonight. Got everything all tidied up and now the engine is ready for a test run. I will have to wait for the L80's from Aircraft International to arrive before I can start it however. I took some photos of how I install and time the hall sensors. I will post them tomorrow as it is rapidly approaching midnight and I am beat.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Hey snoopy, where did you get the cool landing gear at? Could use something like that for my profile I am building. Or I can get off my hiney and go cut and bend some aluminum... I am pretty cheap, so might be building, but like that gear none-the-less!

That gear is from an Aeroworks Extra 260 profile. It looks good but it may be to light time will tell.