• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Looks like a place for one huge cheeseburger to me :)

Should have got the ARF. Or should I say ARE? To much building has to be done......

20160714_164600.jpg

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Sonofagun.... Somehow my Tower order for my new ball links got mis-shipped to a different address so they have to be re-forwarded to the right address. Had them sent to work and was expecting them today, well now they won't be delivered until tomorrow when we will be closed :(

So then I picked up some Dubro ball links from the LHS because I really wanted to just get this finished for this weekend and I must have picked up the wrong ones because they're too wide to fit the control horns on the surfaces, and too short for my turnbuckles :rolleyes::rolleyes::confused::thumbsdown:

So much for getting the Yak all tightened up for this weekend :omg:

Last edited:

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
@49dimes & @pawnshopmike,

You two are nuts, but you are both my kind of people. We better get this thread back on subject or Tanner is going to sick Chris on us. . . . :laughing:.

To that end, I got a little shop time yesterday. However I have to admit, I went back to the "Dark Side". Stopped by the LHS yesterday and the UPS truck had just dropped off the new E-flight SU-29 foamy designed by Mike McConville. I opened up the box to check it out and I decided to bring it home so I would have a plane I could just throw in the back of the Durango and go to the flying field when I didn't feel like messing with glow fuel or gasoline. I haven't flown a little electric foamy since my E-flight Wildcat fell apart from flying it so much.

As usual with E-flight planes, the quality, fit and finish was excellent. It's amazing the things they can do with foam these days. It took me longer to make the necessary linkage adjustments and program all my throws into my radio than it took to put the plane together. Total time was about 2 hours.

The plane comes with a 10 size 1250KV motor and is set up to use the three cell 2200mAh 30C lipo battery. The control surfaces on this thing are huge but the plane came with digital servos, which was kind of surprising for what the plane cost. This is also the first foamy I bought where the ESC came with a switching BEC to cut power to the receiver which I really like. The leading edge of the wing also has a line of small triangular shapes in the foam that are flush with the wing at the point of the triangle and raise up slightly as you go back. I'm guessing it's an aerodynamics thing to disrupt the airflow over the wing, something like the saw tooth leading edges that QQ has put on some of his planes.

I don't have any pictures, but if you guys want some, let me know and I'll post some. Maiden flight is scheduled for tomorrow morning.