• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!

Between Friday night and all day Saturday I managed to get the DLE170 back on the Edge and running! I installed dual 32oz 4titude tanks and an EQ6 also. The DLE runs great! I did a little bit of baffling up front to get it running andI will say that just redirecting the air to the center of the cylinders made a ton of difference in temps! Can't wait to get the rest of the baffling in place and see just what it will do.
By the way Mark, is your 170 running stock exhaust or have you got it running on canisters? Which ones if so? Sure seems pretty quiet for a 170. A friend of mine out here has one on a 38% Great Planes Extra. Running a Xoar 32x10. It is so loud, You "CAN NOT" stand within 20 feet of it as your ears will literally be bleeding from the burst ear drums. NOT EVEN KIDDING.

thurmma

150cc
By the way Mark, is your 170 running stock exhaust or have you got it running on canisters? Which ones if so? Sure seems pretty quiet for a 170. A friend of mine out here has one on a 38% Great Planes Extra. Running a Xoar 32x10. It is so loud, You "CAN NOT" stand within 20 feet of it as your ears will literally be bleeding from the burst ear drums. NOT EVEN KIDDING.
Rob, stock mufflers with a Mejzlik 32x10. Your friend needs to get rid of the Xoar prop! I have a 30x12 and it will make your ears bleed. The stock mufflers get pretty loud but, they are tolerable and I didn't really run it up much in the video. I am hoping to put the RE3s from the Extra on it or some Proflows at a later date :)

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Rob, stock mufflers with a Mejzlik 32x10. Your friend needs to get rid of the Xoar prop! I have a 30x12 and it will make your ears bleed. The stock mufflers get pretty loud but, they are tolerable and I didn't really run it up much in the video. I am hoping to put the RE3s from the Extra on it or some Proflows at a later date :)
Sweet...it kind of sounded like stocks. But then it was quiet enough...almost to be muffs. :lol2: Looking forward to seeing another video of that Purple Beast flying. :way_to_go:

WMcNabb

150cc
Gorgeous weather yesterday, so I played in the shop for a few hours.

Cut a door for access to fuel, air and eventually switches. Installed a new air valve and pressure gauge which will wind up in the instrument panel when I'm finished.

Repositioned the fuel tank, and strengthened the retract servo and retract valve. Temporarily installed it, until I get the correct hardware. Next up is to build a receiver mount and battery mounts.

One of these days, I'll quit fiddling around and finish the thing!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Not much shop time for me either. Had to work all weekend so I didn't have allot of free time. I did take the two items out of my Giant Stick that I posted pictures of and put them in their proper place. A friend of mine let me buy one of his extra RCexcel kill switches and hooked it up too. I still need to get another ignition module for the Evolution, though. I spoke to Milton at RCexcel about it and he told me he could not send me a module. He said I would have to take my engine off the plane and ship it to him so he could make sure it got the correct module. I still haven't made up my mind if I'm going to do that or just get a regulator. A couple of people I've talked to about it have even said I should just run the ignition with the LiFe pack and not worry about it, but I'm not too keen on that idea.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Not much shop time for me either. Had to work all weekend so I didn't have allot of free time. I did take the two items out of my Giant Stick that I posted pictures of and put them in their proper place. A friend of mine let me buy one of his extra RCexcel kill switches and hooked it up too. I still need to get another ignition module for the Evolution, though. I spoke to Milton at RCexcel about it and he told me he could not send me a module. He said I would have to take my engine off the plane and ship it to him so he could make sure it got the correct module. I still haven't made up my mind if I'm going to do that or just get a regulator. A couple of people I've talked to about it have even said I should just run the ignition with the LiFe pack and not worry about it, but I'm not too keen on that idea.
Voice of experience: If the manufacturer says, 4.8, then I would definitely go with what they say. If they say 4.8 to 8.4 or like some of the newer modules, 4.8 to 12v, then by all means...run what ya want. There is a reason we shouldn't run ethanol fuel in our systems. There is a reason you mix your fuel at a specific ratio. There is also reasons why you don't run a 32x10 on a DLE 55. Oh all these examples could be attempted and probably will get by momentarily. But eventually, something is going to fail.