• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well got it done after a lot of reading and then rereading it again. The Old 12x is not as straightforward as some radios but I was able to reprogram the hole plane including a four servo aileron wigs. All I can say if you have never done it it takes some thinking. Well it is done and the servos are dead quite throughout the full range.
No excuses now the plane is ready for its maiden, hopefully the weather is ok tomorrow but it does not look good. The past month has just been horrible if it’s not raining the wind is blowing 30 mph plus.

Wild man

70cc twin V2
You have to have the Spectrum programming cable when your in spectrum support you have to register the receivers serial # and if there are any updates it will update the receiver while you have it powered up and plug in to PC or lap top or I pad The programming cable is plug into the Bind data port, then you power up the receiver. I am just getting use to all this so do not quote me on all this I am still learning all the new stuff. The blue tooth programming cable and the PC cable will soon be discontinued. They now have programming updates for Forward programming. You can now program some of the new Spektrum receiver's with your transmitter The newer DX9's IX12's and the IX20 have the new Forward programming firmware in the transmitter's, cool stuff. It's like going back to school trying to keep up with all the Technology and all the Telemetry they now have. I am in the process of installing Air Speed indicator Telemetry units in some of my Jets that have the AR 8010T receiver's. FLY, FLY FLY then Study up on all this at night LOL!!!! All I have to say is Thank God for the Information Highway. And all the Tech's at Horizon Hobbies

WMcNabb

150cc
You have to have the Spectrum programming cable when your in spectrum support you have to register the receivers serial # and if there are any updates it will update the receiver while you have it powered up and plug in to PC or lap top or I pad The programming cable is plug into the Bind data port, then you power up the receiver. I am just getting use to all this so do not quote me on all this I am still learning all the new stuff. The blue tooth programming cable and the PC cable will soon be discontinued. They now have programming updates for Forward programming. You can now program some of the new Spektrum receiver's with your transmitter The newer DX9's IX12's and the IX20 have the new Forward programming firmware in the transmitter's, cool stuff. It's like going back to school trying to keep up with all the Technology and all the Telemetry they now have. I am in the process of installing Air Speed indicator Telemetry units in some of my Jets that have the AR 8010T receiver's. FLY, FLY FLY then Study up on all this at night LOL!!!! All I have to say is Thank God for the Information Highway. And all the Tech's at Horizon Hobbies

Thanks! I’ll have to try this for my Spektrum receivers.

TonyHallo

150cc
Decided to get out my 14 year old Christen Eagle, ignition batteries were bad. Rather than put a new pack in decided to go the AeroTech IBEC route. This resulted in a new receiver and XPS x10 expander board. The surface servos are Hitec 5945's with a 5955 on the rudder. The plane was built with a 2 cell LIPO and regulators set at 6 volts. I tried to simply hook up the IBEC on the regulated power bus but it wasn't happy at all. It would either not function or turn on and not turn off. After two days of beating my head, decided to split the electrical system. The surface servos are running on 6 volts through the regulators while the ignition, throttle and choke are powered directly off the LIPO battery. Ever ything is happy, hope to fly it later today.
Power by a ZDZ 80RV with a JMB can, old stuff for sure. An Advanced Telematix AT-V1 telemetry system was also installed, measuring two cylinder head temperatures, the 6 volt buss and the LIPO voltage. Was always curious about the engine temperature in flight since the blue paint is bubbling near the transfer ports while the head fins show no signs of bubbling? I always wondered why ZDZ elected to paint the cylinder head anyway?
Below are then and now photos of the plane, has a little rash on it now and some package tape here and there. I bought the short kit at a flee market for $150 designed by Frank Knoll.

000_0146.JPG
IMG_0761.JPG

Wild man

70cc twin V2
speak of the Devil I was just given one. A Doctor I tout to fly RC is getting out of the hobby and gave me the one I helped him with many times over the past They are Heavy but are fun to fly. When I get around to it I am going to re power it with an EME 60cc gasser with the starter on the Engine. To many planes not enough time LOL!!! I do a lot of building and assembly for many guys in this area
eagle3.jpg eagle1.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
I put three flights on it today, flies just as bad as I remember. I think it would fly better with a longer tail moment. I guess I need to get use to it again. Been flying the Piper Cherokee for the past three seasons, not a lot of excitement with it.

Wild man

70cc twin V2
You are right on about a longer Tail moment. Many had found The Eagle to have Very Nasty ground handling and Very hard to control on landings. Having great flight Proficiency is a must. Glad to here all went well

BalsaDust

@stangflyer I'm picking up a Mustang in the next couple of weeks. May not be the ones your after though. Will be nice to have a project car in the stable again. Just V6 Automatic car but that will change with time. Belongs to a coworker currently but he told me to come get it out of his yard and I could have it. Obvious signs of a teenager driving it with soda bottles and other assorted trash covering the interior. Got parked when his son literally drove the brakes off of it, like of the the rear brakes had the pads fall out and the piston turn sideways. Can't complain too much though with a free car.
IMG_2097.JPG
IMG_2099.JPG
IMG_2100.JPG
IMG_2101.JPG
IMG_2102.JPG
IMG_2103.JPG
IMG_2104.JPG