• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The stick bangers thread

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Not so much a fear of crashing for me. It's more of " I can't afford$$$$to crash!"

Kinda at that point in life......"When it's gone....It's gone"

Already have had enough crashes for the "Average Jellystone Bear: Booboo!"

Last edited:

crashflow

70cc twin V2
So I have a new viper with split ailerons so I set up a receiver on my jr12x with servos plugged into it. I have got all the mixing done to do flaps, crow and anything else you can do with it including elev. to flap mixing. should be fun but I will have to remember while flying all the switches I have assigned. Time to learn a whole new book of tricks!!!

balsa

50cc
Well I stink at this 3d thing yet. So I just build a private feild at my house so no one can see me stink. I think tring to learn one move until you have it is the way to go. Just wish I could learn them faster. Also having some one to fly with that wants to learn the same kind of flying helps a lot.

Keep up the tips pop tops are next thanks guys.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I set "Elevator to Flap(actually air brake)" to 60% of the throw volume on my Edges. I found the EF104 only needed 25% of the throw to do the same elevators. What you guys doing? and doing on the Viper?

Well I stink at this 3d thing yet. So I just build a private feild at my house so no one can see me stink. I think tring to learn one move until you have it is the way to go. Just wish I could learn them faster. Also having some one to fly with that wants to learn the same kind of flying helps a lot.

Keep up the tips pop tops are next thanks guys.

Honestly........... Start with the basics, and I do mean basics. May sound silly or dumb but it does help in orientation. Not sure of your flying skill level, so if you are a bit more advanced in flying, disregard the going back to the basics line.

Folks often get too anxious to do the wild and crazy 3d stuff, they get mixed up and end up drilling an airplane or 2 before they figure out what happened.

First ththa I would work on are rolls. Work on 2, 4 and 8 point rolls, both left and right aileron direction and left and right flight path. Slow rolls are included in that segment.

Loops. May sound silly again, but it really does help. You just don't pull on the elevator and expect the airplane to perform that perfect loop. You have to fly the airplane thrust the loop. Wind conditions play a huge role in airplane tracking. I often do a manuevure I call the "clover" loop. It is a 4 loop sequence. It is 3/4 loop with a 1/4 roll on the downline, roll direction doesn't matter, enter again into a 3/4 loop with a 1/4 roll on the downline (rolling the same direction as the first). You will notice that the 2 loops that "face" you with the canopy and belly, you will begin to see how the airplane will begin to drift off heading. Pick an imaginary point of reference and fly the airplane to it. It may seem silly, but honestly, it builds a little muscle on the right side of the brain. And it surely beats flying up and down the flightline at wide open throttle. :)

Rolling circles. They just aren't pegging the aileron stick and driving it around with elevator. 4 roll, 3 roll, 2 roll and the hardest (for me) is the 1 roll. There are rolls I side, outside, alternating and upright or inverted start/finish.

Then, once you get those down, then I would look into the old school 3d manuevures as a starting point. I would start with "Elevators". Then "Elevators" transitioning into the "Hover/Torque roll". Blenders, Walls, Parachutes all included there.

If you can do Harriers, Rolling Harriers, Rolling Harrier Circles in each direction (everyone has a strong direction). Then pop tops. It is basically an upright Blender. But backwards, but your stick inputs are very much the same. It is all timing related, like the rolling harrier.

I've flown for 25 years and 10 of those years competiting in IMAC/Pattern mainly. I've flown with some of the best pilots in the USA. Then I started flying freestyle/3D. Loved it. 2x XFC pilot, '05/'09. I quit/retired from competiting due to the drama and BS that comes with it. But I still do demo flights, because it is fun. I just want to have fun with this hobby and pass along any amount of knowledge I have to those wanting/willing to learn.

I have screwed around with helis for 8 or so years in that 25 year stint. It keeps the brain working! :) I have 3 helis currently, 2 700 class and 1 180.