• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC The new Dalton 300 SP / 330

We had some major rain here yesterday and today. Right now it is not raining. I was able to get to the shop and do a little bit more work.

Here is the view from my garage, as the rain water was creeping up into my neighbors lawn.
IMG_1166.JPG
IMG_1167.JPG

Here is after I glued on the root cap, this one out of balsa. This added 0.9 ounces of weight. I also went around the edges with some ca, after I sanded it down.

IMG_1173.JPG
IMG_1174.JPG

here is the corner of the root TE.
IMG_1175.JPG

This was also glued on, with the fuselage on its side, and I waited for the the glue to cure before I removed the whole thing. I wanted to assure that there was full contact between the root and the fuselage side. As I type, the right wing is on there now. Once it cures, tomorrow, I will trim and sand it smooth, then I can set the incidence. I will also show a cool new "toy" I have devised to set the incidence while drilling it.

Something truly coincidental. Several months ago, I ordered a brand new Dave Brown Ultimate Spinner, 5" diameter, with a lightened back plate. Just recently, Tom informed me that he had done the same, for a 3 blade prop (mine is for a 2 blade prop), except, he has noticed that his new spinner wold not work with the new cowl design. SO i went to my shop to verify, and here are the findings:

IMG_1171.JPG
IMG_1172.JPG

Looks like we need 6" spinners.

Both root caps are glued on and now, it is time to set the incidence.

Last time to demonstrate, the intimate contact between the wing and the fuselage.
IMG_1176.JPG

this comes in a little baggie, when you buy the kit:

IMG_1177.JPG

Tony does a great job of including all of these accessories.

The nylon bushings are for the fuselage sides, such that, the wing bolt will act as the anti-rotation pin, and this will prevent the threads on the studs from wallowing out the wooden fuselage hole. The nylon is much more resistant to this, compared to the wood, and thus, hundreds of in and out of the wings should not deteriorate the hole, such that the incidence could get lost.