• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC The new Dalton 300 SP / 330

both wings, the sheeting is on good. I inspected them, and then sanded everything smooth and straight. I was hoping somehow, that they would be less than what I measured yesterday, but no! Both wings are still weighing 2 pounds and 6 ounces.

I set this sanding belt, split in middle, and laid it out flat on the table.
IMG_1155.JPG

I am then able to move the wing relative to the sanding strip, "to and fro",
IMG_1156.JPG

Made the leading edge and trailing edge, trimmed it, then adhered to the wing using the Gorilla Wood Glue:

IMG_1157.JPG

I then placed it into the vacuum bag...

IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1159.JPG

Will be interesting to see how it comes out. I will report back. I have never done this step like this before. SO it will be another 1st for me.

Well, this is just amazing to me, this bagging deal rocks. I have inspected the top and bottom and LE and TE contact, and it is 100%. I will not be having to do any filling at all, And I did not need to use over 20 strips of masking tape.

I am a convert now. Just need to figure out what I like better, Poly u or epoxy resin. I may change my tune once I use the west epoxy system.

IMG_1160.JPG

tomorrow, I will sand the wings down, reweigh them, just to keep track, and then set the incidence. Once the incidence is set, then I can cut out the ailerons, and do the hinge line.

Very impressed with the bagging technique. Seems to me that the vacuum brings the balsa of the LE and TE to a water tight seal with the wing balsa sheeting. Not a single gap. In some areas, I cannot differentiate between the LE and balsa sheeting, (after I have sanded it down).

tip of the right wing. The balsa sheets were not edge glued. There is quite a bit of discussion regarding this, which has created two groups of people, those who edge glue and those who do not. I have reviewed a great deal of threads that demonstrate either way. In summary, if you edge glue, once you are done, before sheeting the wing, the surface is sanded smooth at the joints. But, edge gluing is time consuming. IF you do not edge glue, it is much quicker , however, once you have sheeted it, you then have to sand the joints on a curve. Which, is not really an issue, since I always will sand it down, in preparing for the hair spray coat then the smoothing out and covering stage. Another advantage of not edge gluing, if you ask me, is that, if you use a vacuum bag technique, the glue will penetrate into the joints, and thus, if you use epoxy or poly urethane glue, you will get that in there. You cannot see it now, since I have sanded down the wing, but you could see the red dye between the joints, where the epoxy penetrated, which sure is a comforting thing to see.
IMG_1161.JPG

Leading edge at the tip.
IMG_1162.JPG

leading edge at the root.
IMG_1163.JPG

trailing edge. Again, the vacuum bag really sucked it down. I have a new tool!

IMG_1164.JPG

I have reweighed the right wing, the LE and TE with the glue has added 2 ounces to the wing. SO now we are up to 2 pounds and 8 ounces.

IMG_1165.JPG

When I get home from work today, I will sand the left wing, and also weigh it. I forgot to mention, I will be adding a 1/8" thick balsa cap to the root, so that it will protect the edge of the balsa from the top and bottom sheeting. Additionally, this will be a much better surface for the Monokote to adhere to. Well, at least for me, I have a difficult time getting covering to adhere to plywood.

Last edited:
Just weighed the other wing, after sanding it down, and it is at 2 pounds and 7.9 ounces.
I am now adding the balsa root cap to the left wing, and this after noon I will do the right wing, then tomorrow, I can set the incidence. After which, I can count out the ailerons, and then start working on the cowl and baffle plate.

Looks real good Cam, if we had a bag system I would at least use it for the leading and trailing edges.
Tom

Thank you Tom, I am really amazed at how there is zero gaps between the LE or TE and the balsa sheeting. Being that, it provides a constant force from the vacuum to every square cm. In such a fashion that it pushes it into the edge of the wing. I think once you use it, you will become a convert. I know you had told me, in the past ,that you had used the vacuum bag technique on some wings.

Cam,
I just weighed the remaining wing panel from my Dalton that had a wing failure (aircraft in my avatar). It weights 2 lbs. 14 oz. complete minus servos. This wing was vacuumed bagged using West Sytems and some very light sheeting (too light). So my new wings with carbon fiber spars top and bottom that were glued in with West Systems and sheeting and tube glued with poly, finished and covered minus servos weigh 3 lbs. 1 oz.

Tom