• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC The new Dalton 300 SP / 330

capthis

70cc twin V2
Thank you for posting those pics! I hadn't ever seen all those airplanes together before!

I gotta admit an Extra is my all time favorite design!

Guess we hijacked Cam's thread but he did ask for it! :)

ROLLERMAN

70cc twin V2
I have exactly 24 flights on it, going out today after work.

20160429_194004.jpg
DSCN0367.JPG

Hey Primo @ROLLERMAN , i just saw this picture, that is awesome, and now I see your angel there! Airplane looks sweet!!

I just stared to work on the canopy / hatch area.

this is a totally different canopy design that I have ever seen on a Dalton, as it is now a foam hatch.

I also believe it is different than the one Tom @tom wheeler has built on his two, I could be wrong, and he can correct me.

Here is what I did, 1st thing, I did a trial testing to see, how the cowl sits against the foam, and taking into consideration, the thickness of the sheeting and then the fiberglass cloth.

I then cut out a plywood cap, that will sit in the front of foam hatch., and double and triple checked, to see how it will fit and that it will be the near to exact radius as the cowl top piece.
then I glued this on to the front of the foam hatch.

IMG_1441.JPG

this was then sanded flush with the foam...

IMG_1442.JPG

after I took this picture, I also sanded the foam to remove the cut lines from the wire.

IMG_1443.JPG

I also checked to make sure that the front edge of F1 is in line with plywood cap on the foam, and it was!

IMG_1444.JPG

next step, is to create a surface on the hatch laser cut piece, for the foam to adhere to.

at first, I glued in this 1/4" square spruce piece from front to back on both the right and left side, at same time, using the hatch screw tabs, which were in place, with a screw in it, to simulate where t will sit. then I doubled it with balsa 1/4" square.

IMG_1439.JPG

But this is only now a 1/2" strip, and not enough area for the foam to adhere to, so then I added another stock of balsa strip.

IMG_1445.JPG

Now, you can get an idea of the surface area for the foam to adhere to.

the sheeting is now being adhered to the foam, with the plywood cap in place, and leaving at least 1/4" + 1/8" so it will cover the plywood and the spruce.

IMG_1446.JPG

just got some more done on it.

there was an excellent bond between the sheeting and the foam. This is a test fitting of it.
IMG_1448.JPG

Here, I began to glue it on...
IMG_1449.JPG

i placed tape to clamp it down and position it.

IMG_1450.JPG

here it is, after I glued it on, and sanded everything flush.
IMG_1451.JPG
IMG_1452.JPG

I made this former, for the aft of the hatch, out of 1/2" thick balsa. there has to be a thin step off, between the hatch top and this former.

IMG_1453.JPG

just measuring for now, and making a plan.
IMG_1454.JPG

after spending about 1 hour, of sanding and checking, and back and forth, I also used a black sharpie to mark the high points, then back to the sander just enough to remove the black marks. At least 15 times, I would say...
IMG_1455.JPG

here is my step off, not bad.
IMG_1456.JPG

this is now being glued on. Once this cures, then I will glue on the rear canopy plywood cap, then paint it, then cut out the canopy, and glue it on using canopy glue.

I have started the trimming process of the canopy onto the hatch. Here, you have to take your time and be patient. DO a little bit at a time,.

I always get the front edge cut 1st, then the back edge, and then the sides are last.

IMG_1457.JPG

Just did this , this morning, I checked my joint, and it is strong, between the aft cap and the spruce stringers of the hatch. I then painted the hatch base area.

Now, I will install the pilot and the instrument panel, before glueing on the canopy, but this will have to wait til I get back from work.

IMG_1463.JPG
IMG_1464.JPG
IMG_1465.JPG