• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion The I’m going out flying thread 2018

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
More pond flying today. Had to hurry as winds picked up substantially later in the day. 3 batteries worth, mostly just touch and goes. Very cool to fly on water. More please.

Screenshot_20181124-165259_1543100037235.jpg

Last edited:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I actually got out and did some flying yesterday. It was 64 degrees and sunny. It was a bit windy early, but dropped as the day went on. Pretty much perfect.:) Today was windy and rainy with some Tornado warnings and it may snow overnight.:oblong: Like they say around here, if you don't like the weather, just wait a minute and it will change.

I flew my 120cc Hangar 9 Extra. Since I started flying it it always did very nice knife edge spins. Ever since I repaired the engine box when the top of it came off and the bottom came loose, it was almost impossible to get it to do one. The only thing I could come up with was that I added just enough nose weight that it changed the CG just enough to not want to knife edge spin anymore. Since I flew it last I changed the tailwheel which added 1.2 ounces to the tail. I've been anxious to see if it would knife edge spin with the extra tail weight. The answer is YES. It's way better now. I'm even considering taking out some nose weight to see if it can fly even better.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I actually got out and did some flying yesterday. It was 64 degrees and sunny. It was a bit windy early, but dropped as the day went on. Pretty much perfect.:) Today was windy and rainy with some Tornado warnings and it may snow overnight.:oblong: Like they say around here, if you don't like the weather, just wait a minute and it will change.

I flew my 120cc Hangar 9 Extra. Since I started flying it it always did very nice knife edge spins. Ever since I repaired the engine box when the top of it came off and the bottom came loose, it was almost impossible to get it to do one. The only thing I could come up with was that I added just enough nose weight that it changed the CG just enough to not want to knife edge spin anymore. Since I flew it last I changed the tailwheel which added 1.2 ounces to the tail. I've been anxious to see if it would knife edge spin with the extra tail weight. The answer is YES. It's way better now. I'm even considering taking out some nose weight to see if it can fly even better.
That's awesome. It is amazing how little weight it takes to either make or break a good handling plane. I kind of chuckle to myself some times when people ask me if I had to do anything special to get my plane to balance on the CG. "CG"? "What's that"? LOL. I just start tossing things in with just a little organization and hope it flies well. Ummm, couldn't be why Marie is a tad tail heavy huh? LOL.... Good job Doug. Now take all that weight off the nose. :laughing:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
That's awesome. It is amazing how little weight it takes to either make or break a good handling plane. I kind of chuckle to myself some times when people ask me if I had to do anything special to get my plane to balance on the CG. "CG"? "What's that"? LOL. I just start tossing things in with just a little organization and hope it flies well. Ummm, couldn't be why Marie is a tad tail heavy huh? LOL.... Good job Doug. Now take all that weight off the nose. :laughing:
With this one if I took all the weight I have on the nose off, it would probably crash. :eek:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp

That is interesting to see that 1.2 oz can make such a change on 120cc plane. From this it really makes sense to putting the the gas tank right on the CG.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
With this one if I took all the weight I have on the nose off, it would probably crash. :eek:
More than likely. Interesting thing... a number of years back I assembled a (I believe) Dave Patrick Extra 300. (I think I have a photo somewhere) Beautiful plane. That was the plane I put my first DLE 55 on. It flew like nothing you ever seen. Loved the inverted flat spins. Flatter than any pancake I have ever seen. But that was "AFTER" I got the balance corrected. I maidened it so absolutely tail heavy that when I slowed down, the nose went into 45 degree incline. Like a slow motion harrier with no power. (Or at least it seemed that way) Once I got the CG corrected, it really did fly oh so sweet.

lg-241981.jpg lg-241982.jpg

That is interesting to see that 1.2 oz can make such a change on 120cc plane. From this it really makes sense to putting the the gas tank right on the CG.
Remember the rule: 3:1 ratio. For every ounce on the tail, it takes 3 on the nose to correct. By adding over an ounce on the tail, He actually removed 3 from the nose. And in a 3D environment depending on the plane, that can be enough to make all the difference in the world. On a 100cc plane, it really does make an impact. On a 50 pound Behemoth Yak? Not so much. LOL.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
More than likely. Interesting thing... a number of years back I assembled a (I believe) Dave Patrick Extra 300. (I think I have a photo somewhere) Beautiful plane. That was the plane I put my first DLE 55 on. It flew like nothing you ever seen. Loved the inverted flat spins. Flatter than any pancake I have ever seen. But that was "AFTER" I got the balance corrected. I maidened it so absolutely tail heavy that when I slowed down, the nose went into 45 degree incline. Like a slow motion harrier with no power. (Or at least it seemed that way) Once I got the CG corrected, it really did fly oh so sweet.

View attachment 106970 View attachment 106971

Remember the rule: 3:1 ratio. For every ounce on the tail, it takes 3 on the nose to correct. By adding over an ounce on the tail, He actually removed 3 from the nose. And in a 3D environment depending on the plane, that can be enough to make all the difference in the world. On a 100cc plane, it really does make an impact. On a 50 pound Behemoth Yak? Not so much. LOL.
Nice plane really like colour scheme.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
So let me tell you guys about my Sunday flying excursion.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Started out as a normal, clear, cold morning. Decided to go fly since Saturday the field was rained out. The photo that was sent out on Sunday morning showed a lack of water across our road surface, conditions that I have navigated no problem before. Well as I came down our gravel road and attempted to turn, the van continued to go straight :eek::eek: It went straight into thick Tijuana River Valley muck and before I knew it, we were sunk :oblong:

47256111_10218947606908087_8281091877520801792_o.jpg

(you can see the gravel road in the background, above the front of the van)

Turns out some of the gravel was covered in mud and as soon as that filled my front tires, all hope was lost. Several hours of digging and yanking resulted in the van winding up right where it currently is. There was no hope at this point of getting it out with a 2wd truck. Defeated, I had to have the girlfriend come pick me up so that I could get my Jeep and recovery gear to get the pig out of the mud. All this time I was thinking if I had just thrown an airplane in the Jeep I would be flying :confused:

The Jeep putted right across the muck no problem, being AWD. Jacked the van up with my hi-lift jack to get more solid ground under the tires, hooked my HD tow strap to the Jeep and the van, and gave er a good tug in low gear. She was finally free!!!!

47115833_10218950851989212_5642806386573180928_o.jpg

Funny business done, it was time to huck :cool: All of this fuss called for a special occasion, the 115" AJ Laser (which I intentionally do not fly often). I always forget what a lively airplane it really is. The wing is something else entirely.

47311678_10218950185772557_5349606544281436160_o.jpg

It was a perfect afternoon of flying. Driving out, I took the gravel road in the van and it putted right through no problem. My partner in crime drive the Jeep out, which she said was not a challenge at all :way_to_go:

20181202_151808.jpg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Got it to the field but no "joy" on wheels up for the engine would not start :mad:. I'm fed up with this airframe and it's inability to accommodate 70/80cc class canisters. Going to pull the canister and "gut" all the internal baffling and see if that will let the 72 "breathe".

Of course my buddies planes engines ran flawlessly as I sat and watched him fly and "rub" it in...……..Sheeesho_O.

20181205-175917.JPG
20181205-175854.JPG