• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The how do you setup your IMAC radio thread

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
Just made me curious to know how people setup their radio for IMAC flying.
Futaba JR or other brands post your logic and ideas here.

Thanks
Adi

Robotech

70cc twin V2
It really depends a lot on the plane, especially mixing. For example my plane does best with a few points of right rudder at full throttle and a point of down elevator at idle for down lines. The down elevator mix is turned off by the same switch that puts the engine at a low idle for landing. This is the only switch I operate while the plane is flying and that is for landing only (sequence/round is over). This is due to the fact that I usually have a death grip on the radio and my knees are wobbly.

As far as rates go I keep the throws very low, like 10 degrees on the elevator and 12 degrees on ailerons. I use a higher rate on the rudder but use a large amount of expo so that it's pretty mild until you get way out on the stick.

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Pretty basic for me.

I have three rates and all of the control surfaces are on that one switch. Seems like I'm similar to Robo, I've never worked at flipping switches when flying, it's enough for me to be able to work one switch when flying let alone having all the control surfaces on their own rate switch. I also tame my throws down, low rate is giving me 10-12 degrees movement on ailerons and elevators and then rates 2 and 3 start to increase the throw up to 100 percent. The rudder is programmed for 35-40 degrees of movement between the three positions.

I have an ignition kill on one switch, idle up set on another switch and a countdown timer setup on another. Sometimes I'll setup the flight timer to be activated by the throttle stick position.

30 percent is my starting number for Expo and can change with the plane and how it flies. I typically have not used mixes. I'll try to tweak CG, thrust, incidence, and make slight mechanical changes before setting up a mix.

My TX, an Airtronics SD-10G, has far more programming options than I use....or even understand. I'm sure some of them would be of value and help me be a better pilot.

My setup is almost like Robo's - 10 deg elev, 25 deg aileron and 25 degrees rudder. This is for the Sportsman sequence flying only. Expo is only 15% as I am of the old school and any more than that feels "like I ain't got it"!! I do have three conditions other than sequence: Hammer where rudder is maxed out, expo is about 30% so that it feels the same as in sequence; a Spin where rudder and elevator are maxed out and about 30% expo same reasoning as for hammer; and snap that is activated when aileron and elevator are in the corners, rudder is max deflection either way and throttle is less than on-third.

You really should use the attached trim chart to trim out your plane if you want to reduce pilot workload when flying IMAC. Of course, this is once you get to plane to fly straight and level then the trimming out process starts!!

Attachments

• Trim Chart.pdf
    343.4 KB · Views: 446
I try not to use any switch's. My snaps are based on stick position so when the sticks are in predermined points at the same time the snap rate kicks in. I do have to flip a switch for my spins and I have an ultra low rate for aileron for rollers. I was using a switch for high rate rudder but after some help from a friend I no longer use high rate rudder for hammers. The plane will hammer just fine on my normal rate rudder. There is the normal rudder to elevator and aileron mixing but I think I will reduce the rudder to elevator. Since you really don't spend much time on knife edge the constant correcting for point rolls and rudder correction should be reduced with less rudder to elevator mixing.