• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The Forgotten Extra, The Extra 230

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Sleepy's new thread today about your favorite aerobatic airplane made me give some thought to one of my favorites from the past, the Extra 230. I imagine that the reason it's one of my favorites is because the first gas aerobatic airplane I ever flew was an Ace 30% Extra 230. It was built by a friend of mine, Tony, and I did the painting. By today's standards it would be a total turd, but 20ish years ago it was very cool. Powered by a Sachs 3.2 we were in awe of the power...... like I said it was a long time ago.;)

I don't really have any good reason why I started this thread other than to stir up thought in a forgotten plane that helped start the whole Extra family. Younger guys in this hobby may have never seen one.

View attachment 26433 View attachment 26434

I still use the same flight box you show in 1 photo.

capthis

70cc twin V2
So..... I found and just got shipped as of today a NIB RC extra's (Jim VanLoo) 33% kit. I really wanted the 30% but I couldn't pass up this ever so slightly larger one.

I have a DA 50 I had planned to use on the 87" but this 97" plane just isn't that much bigger.

thepamster

70cc twin V2
I would be curious as to how it balances with that engine. You may need to add 2 or 3 more DA engines.
I'm joking, sort of.
I still have my 30% one in my shop collecting dust. I'd almost give it away to get the space, almost, maybe, or perhaps. Lol.

capthis

70cc twin V2
I would give it a good home. :) I think the 30% would be the better choice for the 50.

I plan to do a lot of lightening to one of these. Wing tube, balsa fuse sides instead of ply, Obviously make rudder, and rons, and probably even elevators bigger.

I have the materials and templates made to scratch out a 30% but would still need to order gear, cowl, and canopy etc. That alone gets expensive with shipping etc.

thepamster

70cc twin V2
Yeah build it light for sure. I built mine like a tank. I wanted to make sure that my G62 wouldn't rip off the front. It was my first giant scale plane. What the heck did I know anyway. Lol.
That DA50 probably wouldn't even get mine off the ground.:)