• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The FAA just "went there" NOT GOOD. ALL RC Aircraft = REAL AIRCRAFT

smboyd126

New to GSN!
that's not right (said the guy that manages the #1 "drone" online community in the world!)

dancing poop makes everything more better :dancing-poop:

No it's not right and I'd be the last one to actually do it but when you see stories like Mikeq just posted it makes you consider it...

I know that there are those who fly quads in a safe and responsible manner but they are far outnumbered by the idiot who goes to any store, not just lhs anymore, and buys a quad and sends it into the stratosphere with no regards for anything or anyone.

Taildraggerrc

70cc twin V2
Found this post from another site..

I will wait to hear, but I still think the congress passed H.R.658 - FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 that is in affect. The FAA does not have authority to control model aircraft according to that law. Now they are attempting to circumvent that law by getting NTSB as their lackey to make a ruling that I doubt they have authority to make. this will be over turned in the courts. Overreach at its finest.

(Sec. 336) Prohibits the FAA Administrator from promulgating rules or regulations on model aircraft flown strictly for hobby or recreational purposes and meeting certain other criteria.

we shall see. FAA had their hands slapped and like a spoiled child, they are trying to game the system. Now don't get me started on the proposed elimination of 3rd class medical for private pilots... FAA drags its feet yet again

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
we were seeing these kinds of dumbs things happening from day one. years ago there was a guy that posted a video where he took an oktokopter and firewalled the throttle letting it go straight up until the battery alarms went off (he was able to hear them in the video monitor), he then let it tumble back down at nearly idle where he used what little battery power he had left to recover and land.

his max altitude was nearly ten thousand feet! he was in a valley in austria i think but between the youtube effect (where people do stupid things in order to post them online), really advanced technology that was suddenly affordable for the average joe, and the complete lack of any oversight or supervision it's been a thing we've seen over and over and over again.

then there were the guys that flew the superhero foamies all over and around New York City from miles away using UHF gear....that wasn't any better.

just dumb people doing dumb things. i liked it better when they were shooting videos of themselves giving each other nutshots and trying to backflip their BMX bikes. at least it was funny while also being stupid

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Found this post from another site..

I will wait to hear, but I still think the congress passed H.R.658 - FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 that is in affect. The FAA does not have authority to control model aircraft according to that law. Now they are attempting to circumvent that law by getting NTSB as their lackey to make a ruling that I doubt they have authority to make. this will be over turned in the courts. Overreach at its finest.

(Sec. 336) Prohibits the FAA Administrator from promulgating rules or regulations on model aircraft flown strictly for hobby or recreational purposes and meeting certain other criteria.

we shall see. FAA had their hands slapped and like a spoiled child, they are trying to game the system. Now don't get me started on the proposed elimination of 3rd class medical for private pilots... FAA drags its feet yet again

anybody that knows who Bob Hoover is knows that the FAA will fight and fight and fight. they don't seem to have the ability to accept that they might be wrong.

Congress tried to throttle them with that language you quoted above (thanks largely to the AMA I suspect) and the NTSB ruled in favor of Raphael Pirker (and against the FAA and their fine for reckless operation of an "aircraft") when the case was first heard. Any normal person would have recognized the intent of these episodes and would have adapted their operating philosophies appropriately. The FAA doesn't flex though, the FAA digs in and fights back and will continue fighting until they've got everyone else back in their place which is under the control of the FAA. Maybe I'm overstating it but from where I'm sitting it's how it looks.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I have people ask all the time if we need a license to fly RC planes. I remember wondering the same thing when I went the the hobby store to buy my first plane.

Am I missing something or could it be as simple as requiring AMA for anything RC that takes flight?
- Fly your toy like a tool and loose your AMA.
- Fly without AMA, very uncomfortable fine to pay.

Seems pretty simple other than the obvious enforcement issues, but that's true with any law or rule.

I highly doubt this will affect anything anyone is doing at a sanctioned field. This may only allow the FAA to fine those who misuse the technology.