• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport The Behemoth Yak gets a Behemoth Brother/129" Pilot Yak (2)

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
A little progress tonight. Besides the harnesses all being "snakeskined", I made up two side fuselage plates for the stab/elevator servo harnesses. Strung the left side Elevator servo harnesses and glued the plate into the fuselage.

20170718_192328.jpg 20170719_203601.jpg 20170719_203610.jpg 20170719_203617.jpg 20170719_203711.jpg 20170719_214937.jpg

I have decided against building rudder servo bays in the rear of the fuselage. Though it worked really well on the previous Yak, and will keep them there when she is rebuilt...I decided to not do a lot of cutting and modifying to this airframe. I also had a little more tail weight with them back in the rear. I do like a little tail weight but I felt I could get the plane a little finer tuned without them being back there. For that reason and others, I have decided to use the cable pull/pull system. I prefer the direct solid link of push/pull. But the 260 is still on cables after all these years and flights. She has not let me down so I figured I would give it a shot with the big Yak. (Truth be known, I am just plane, (pun intended) right down tired of building for this year. I want to fly. LOL

I am going to get the right side of the fuselage wired tomorrow. That is, the elevator harness at least. I do have the fuel tank set in the fuse now. So I will also work on getting it tied down and adding a backer plate to the inside of the fuse for the fuel dot like I did on the previous Yak.

20170716_115544.jpg

We are now down to 41 days before Tri-Cities Huckfest. I really need to get cracking on this big guy. I spoke to Gerhard again today. He shipped the 212 and replacement L80's today, but unfortunately they will not arrive until next Wednesday. That is ok though, because the extra time will give me a chance to get more done on the Yak before it arrives. I also sold the DLE 111 today, so that means a brand new shiny "dub" redhead.jpg for the Pilot Edge. I will be doing that engine swap this weekend also. Dang, I have so much to get done in a very short time.

Someone pour me a cup of coffee and keep it coming....

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
You sure make those redheads seem so attractive, pun intended.:lol2:
Trust and believe, all those red heads (dubs) are full of fire.
happy-nodding-smiley-face-emoticon.gif

I "used" to date that red head with my old lap top :). But now I have a new lap top and no date :(. Only thing I can think of is the "downsizing" in my hangar caused her to look for another lap top :oops:. Sheesh.......Women!

Dang...not happy to hear that. But that's ok. Cuz, the red head for the Edge has led a sheltered life. Never before difiled by hand or gasoline.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Never used snake skin but after looking at how you have done it it does look good I think on my next build I will give it a go. On the ends you just use some heat shrink.

Thank you. I like it. For me however, it is more than the looks that I enjoy. Remember all those loose harnesses that could get tied up in servos, pulled free from the receiver then a total loss of an airplane? I sure do. Never happened to me because I tried diligently to keep them away from such hazards. I have watched a few club members planes do a death spiral into mother earth and exit somewhere near Beijing China. I like the wire loom snakeskin for that very reason. Neat, tidy and organized. It does add a certain appeal to the inside of a fuse too.
happy-wink-smiley-emoticon.gif

I made goid progress on the new Yak tonight. I will post some photos soon.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
There is a lot to be said about assembling/building an identical twin to a previous airframe. Man, talk about fast and way too easy. Heck, I bet even my four legged co-pilot could do what I have done tonight. Pretty quick progress. At this rate, I will have this thing done and waiting for the 212 to arrive.

First the right side elevator harness...

20170720_192545.jpg

A look down the inside of the fuse. Nicely laid out harnesses...

20170720_192614.jpg 20170720_192625.jpg

Next, the behemoth go-go juice tank...

20170720_192644.jpg

Next up? The Smart Fly Fail Safe Pin and Flag Switch...

20170720_192656.jpg 20170720_192720.jpg

Ignition batteries...(2 Fromeco 2600mah 2s LiIon)

20170720_192749.jpg

Flight Packs...(2) Fromeco 5200mah 2s LiIon

20170720_192753.jpg

Intended location and ready to be screwed down rudder servos. (2) Hitec HS-M7990TH High Voltage, Mega Torque, Magnetic Encoder Ultra Premium Servo. More than enough Behemoth brute force to move that barn door rudder.

20170720_192905.jpg 20170720_213155.jpg

Obviously I will be changing the servo arms to double output arms. I also didn't want to put just the plain jane control horns on the surfaces, so something a little different. Way before they are glued in, I will put them against the plane for comparison to see how they look.

20170720_192516.jpg 20170720_192437.jpg

That is about all I got accomplished tonight. Not bad for a couple of hours after work. Tomorrow, I am planning to install the tail wheel assembly. I think I am going to use the J and J tail wheel that was just barely installed on the original Yak. The White Rose will be saved for that airframe once she is rebuilt. Also, I will get the Smart Fly and Optima 9 installed along with the aileron multiplex plug in harnesses. I would like to get all the wiring done tomorrow so that all I have to do once the 212 is back, I can install that and then install he throttle servo. Providing I don't have to work Saturday, that day will be spent installing harnesses and servos in the stabs/elevators and the main wings and ailerons. I probably will not put the main undercarriage gear on until the engine is mounted and the L80 canisters are in place. I think it will just be easier to work on with the main gear off. I really do think we could get a maiden in by the end of the month.

Stay tuned... more to come.

BalsaDust

Man that's a lot of battery in that thing. Mind you I have never set up anything this big but my 55cc Sukhoi flys on two 2500mah 2S LiFe packs for everything. I generally get in four flights that are 9 minutes long on it each time I take it out and when I recharge my packs I'm only putting in the 600-700mah range back into each pack. Now yes I realize you have quite a few more servos. Care to run down the numbers for me so I better understand?