• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

I got 5 flights in today. Winds were 7-10 mph direct crosswind. But it was the 35dF temps that kept most pilots in their cars. :)

Marc

DSC00463.jpg

DSC00503.jpg

wedoitall

Here lately 35 degrees has been nice flying weather.

After work until dark I flew. Last time I checked it was around 17 degrees and that was about a hr before dark. When the sun went down behind the hills it dropped even more. Normal 5-6 minute flight was lasting about 3 minutes before telemetry went off.

skibum44

70cc twin V2
By keeping my batteries warm before flight I get normal runtimes all the way down to -15F. The generate heat on their own and stay warm during flight. 35F is nice, but usually brings wind here. Prefer 15F, clear and calm.

fixxin2fly

70cc twin V2
Fiixxins tip of the day
Put ur batteries in a cooler. Fill a clean sock with white rice and tie it off. Microwave the rice sock just before going to the field and lay it in the cooler either on top of, or below the batteries with a towel in between. Your batteries will perform as they normally do.

Last edited by a moderator:

wedoitall

I have been keeping my warm like we talked about before but lately it seems that I haven't been able to plan flights like I normally do. So it's been straight from the fridge to the plane. They do get some heat in between but I think they take longer to fully warm in the middle cells since they have been sitting in the fridge at 40 degrees. Guess I should leave a couple packs out.

Work sucks . I didn't mind work till I started flying.

skibum44

70cc twin V2
I just started putting them in the fridge if I don't get to burn the pack that day. Got a mini fridge just for batteries. Supposed to slow degradation... Best right above freezing.

wedoitall

Well I had some packs that weren't puffed at all but did have some slight roundness . After sitting in the fridge the roundness is gone. The IR reads the same as before. I just recently started doing the fridge after reading some stuff that Joe Smith had posted of a multi-year study of lipos In and out of the fridge.