• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

econpatric

70cc twin V2
I hope Scott realizes that there are quite a few of us still on his side and still huge fans of his designs, and while its absurd that this dishonesty can go on with out consequence in our hobby, I think that to throw in the towel because of someone else's subterfuge is also absurd. With all of the current changes in Modeling, would Mr. Goldberg have thrown it in? He innovated around it during his time. https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/GoldbergCarl.pdf

This is a very expensive hobby for most, and while quality counts, cost does also. Its really too bad to see so many (mainly young) people who are limited in nice equipment because quality costs. Innovation for me today is seen by the many out there who are creating the underground enterprises that keep this hobby going, look at all of the small start-up US companies we promote here (taildraggerrc.com comes to mind) they are finding ways to keep the hobby more affordable, without jeopardizing customer service. I think that people DO realize that when they buy these knock-offs regardless of brand (FASST, 3DHS, etc.) they are not getting the 'real' thing and that they are on their own when it comes to any sort of customer service.

Customer service is what sets companies apart from one another. 3DHS, from first hand experience will never be beat in this department. They are amazing and there are many others that fall into this category. We need to begin to eliminate these big business enterprises in our hobby, their time has past. As an example of how this could be achieved, I have been seeing way too many magazines getting 'in bed' with less-than-reputable stores mainly batteries and rx's, maybe we should support Higher Planes vs. Air Age Media and request that they make a magazine for us that promotes these small time start-ups. Of course many other suggestions come to mind, but we need folks who can take an innovative approach to the elimination of the cost while not sacrificing quality or integrity.

This site is also a great example of how we do this. Thanks Gary and staff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
Guys. My family has a saying. Don't complain unless you're willing to do something about it. So by that rule, Gyro is the only one with complaining rights because he started this site (thanks btw). Do something about it. Every time I hear someone complain about HK they get shot down by everyone around them. We can vote with our wallets but that is like voting libertarian. We're MASSIVELY outnumbered.
I work for a big corporation and the rule is Cash is king. HK doesn't need our business to thrive. They have plenty of cash without us. So don't chase someone away bc they're flying HK, they'll blow you off, rather show them they're getting a quality product when they buy 3DHS, EF, etc. I don't walk over and be condescending, but I do fly to the best of my abilities and show the plane well in the air to get them to ask me about them. We need to educate people about what they're doing when they buy HK. I moderate a forum where the users were recently going on about how they feel like they're being talked down to by elitist when someone talks negatively about HK. They feel like they're being lectured by people with more cash. My approach has been this. When they ask me about budget places, I refer them to altitude, heads up, value hobby, etc. (btw you can get a dsm2 rx from heads up and value hobby). When they ask me about HK I tell them that its a dollars and cents question. It will either work or it wont. I tell them its a risk and could cost them more in the long run.

I also show my 3DHS stuff (don't have any EF yet) to my club to get them to see just what they're buying. (My club's opinion on the Bype is that is "Imacculate"). So what can we do? Complaining on here is preaching to the choir.

So I'm gonna pose the question. What can we do?

Also, we should all sign a letter and see if we can get Scott to come back. His designs are easily some of the best in the hobby and he has the potential to be remembered like Joe Bridi or Carl Goldberg.

njswede

150cc
Guys. My family has a saying. Don't complain unless you're willing to do something about it. So by that rule, Gyro is the only one with complaining rights because he started this site (thanks btw).

Actually, I'm going to selfishly grant myself the right to complain. I have a small stake in this site and I have done something today that I consider constructive. There was a kid on RCG that said he could only afford to buy HK and I informed him about a handful alternative brands and outlets. I think a lot of people who just got into the hobby don't realize that HK isn't the only game in town for cheap stuff. If you're a smart consumer you can find good cheap stuff all over the place without having to deal with HK.

Another point you're making and that I strongly agree with is that we shouldn't beat up people for buying HK. Heck, I used to do buy tons of HK stuff myself! Trashing HK customers is just rude and makes us look like fanatics. Instead, let's inform people that there are better alternatives out there that are as (or almost as) affordable as HK.

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
Actually, I'm going to selfishly grant myself the right to complain. I have a small stake in this site and I have done something today that I consider constructive. There was a kid on RCG that said he could only afford to buy HK and I informed him about a handful alternative brands and outlets. I think a lot of people who just got into the hobby don't realize that HK isn't the only game in town for cheap stuff. If you're a smart consumer you can find good cheap stuff all over the place without having to deal with HK.

Another point you're making and that I strongly agree with is that we shouldn't beat up people for buying HK. Heck, I used to do buy tons of HK stuff myself! Trashing HK customers is just rude and makes us look like fanatics. Instead, let's inform people that there are better alternatives out there that are as (or almost as) affordable as HK.

Fair point, complain away. :)

I'm also going to mention 84hobbies.com. He does sell a lot for HK but he sells iFlight and TMotor as well. He also sells lesser known foamies after Nitroplanes/hobbypartz strong armed him out of his techone distributorship. He has this sick Extra from WM aerobatics. I support him because he's a member of my club and I can get iFlight gear at discounts and not pay shipping.

I think we also need to push for a wider selection at our stateside budget places. Sometimes when you need something real specific on the cheap, you're limited to what you can get. That can also drive people to sites like HK.

SnowDog

Guys. My family has a saying. Don't complain unless you're willing to do something about it. So by that rule, Gyro is the only one with complaining rights because he started this site (thanks btw). Do something about it.

This site is my "willing to do something about it".
:thumbup:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Maybe I should've credited the creators and supporters of this site rather than just singling out Gyro. My apologies.

It's all good! NJSwede and SnowDog work their butts off on the site :) and deserve just as much credit as I get.

But seriously, I agree... what can we do? Well, IMO, we stop supporting businesses we individually deem to be part of the problem, and support the ones we feel are worthy of our hard earned pay checks.
I personally don't support HobbyKing and a few others that have demonstrated business practicies detrimental to the hobby. I also don't support RCG as I feel their judgement is clouded by their business model.

But those are just my choices... you all need to make your own decisions.

SnowDog

Maybe I should've credited the creators and supporters of this site rather than just singling out Gyro. My apologies.

No worries Jeff...I was just trying to chime in with my agreement/support of your comment...it's one thing to talk about something that is broken, it is another thing entirely to take action.
-Mike

Anthony7820

70cc twin V2
Anyone else having trouble accessing the site?. It works fine on my phone (considering I am posting from it right now) but it won't load on my computer. It was working fine on my computer while I was at the library today :confused: