• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
That was some great flying! I just can't grasp heli flight, i've been trying to learn but it takes another level of focus to get good at helis. Plus the bigger helis scare me :eek:

I'm having fun with my planks though :p

+1 Me too Anthony. I'm always impressed at the Helis when I hear and see them but my fixed wing brain just keeps saying "ain't right!" It certainly is entertaining. I can't help being a little scared when those high energy hurricanes come whizzing around. Helis go ballistic in so many directions I occasionally fear for the crowd. Fun and safe on video thou. Thanks for sharing. Did you take a hiatus from fixed wing? Those vids weren't shabby either!

G.P.

70cc twin V2
I was doing some heli maintenance :)

That's the part I didn't like about helis! For me it was one or two battery packs and three weeks of waiting for parts and fixing (and $300). It's a huge accomplishment IMO to just set up a heli correctly and get it flying. Never mind being able to fly like that! That's a huge accomplishment as I could never afford to get that good!

Anthony7820

70cc twin V2
+1 Me too Anthony. I'm always impressed at the Helis when I hear and see them but my fixed wing brain just keeps saying "ain't right!" It certainly is entertaining. I can't help being a little scared when those high energy hurricanes come whizzing around. Helis go ballistic in so many directions I occasionally fear for the crowd. Fun and safe on video thou. Thanks for sharing. Did you take a hiatus from fixed wing? Those vids weren't shabby either!
I agree helis can get dangerous very quickly. Usually after after day of flying i go over all the bolts on the helicopter to make sure nothing is coming loose though, especially when I am going to a funfly or something the next day.

Airplanes are just a lot of work IMO. You have to load the wings, batteries, plane, etc. in your car. Unload at the field and put the wings and everything on the airplane, plug all the wires and everything in, and then do it all again to put it back in the car to take home. I like the ease of Helis. You take it out of your car, fuel it up or slide a battery in, then unfold the blades and go fly. After flying helicopters for so long, airplanes just get to be "ehh", there is no rush involved with flying airplanes anymore. I occasionally still fly my 74" Edge, but I have only flown it 2-3 times since I got it back in December, and I have been to the field almost every weekend since then :).

Nice flying... what do you like better, nitro or electric? why?
Nitro and electric are no comparison. Some people say well electric helicopters are cheaper. That just goes to show they have NEVER flown or owned a nitro helicopter. Nitro right now is about $20 for 5 quarts and I have 35, 5 quart containers in my basement so about 43 gallons worth of fuel. So it is worth about $700 and should last me throughout this season and possibly into next. The batteries on my Goblin are about $130 each, and I have 2 of them. Since helicopter run at full throttle pretty much the entire flight those packs won't last as long as airplane packs so I will probably need new ones by next year. So in the end it really adds up to be about the same price wise considering we are comparing a 500 to a 700 size helicopter.

As for performance. Electric has "always there power" where the motor is always running full power, even when there is a load on the blades. With Nitro there is "always there power" where when you load the motor the motor looses RPM then quickly gains back the RPM, so in the nitro helis you can really "feel" the torque coming out of the motor.

Right now I like nitro better. My Goblin 500 is just so powerful it is honestly hard to fly, but I am sure I will get used to it in the future :)

That's the part I didn't like about helis! For me it was one or two battery packs and three weeks of waiting for parts and fixing (and $300). It's a huge accomplishment IMO to just set up a heli correctly and get it flying. Never mind being able to fly like that! That's a huge accomplishment as I could never afford to get that good!

Thanks, it definitely has been a trip to stay in heli flying, once you learn how to repair/ set your helicopter up properly it becomes natural. A lot of people at my club have helped me with setup and everything considering I started flying helis back in August 2011.

Last edited by a moderator: