• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Temp Logging

O

Ohio AV8TOR

For those of us that do not have a telemetry radio what is out there like the simple Venom Micro Temp Logger? Sorry to hear they are discontinued.

O

Ohio AV8TOR

That's a nice find 1932. For me though I am using a VVRC 40 twin with the 1/4x32 plugs and did not see one for that size plug. I am going to give them a call to see if I can bend one of the larger plug sensors and wire twist it in between the back side fins.

Flyncaps

New to GSN!
1932;20545 wrote: I saw this in other thread. Temp digital gauge at WWW.trailtech.net

have not used them but look very good and go under spark plug. I did get two.

I posted that link and a picture of my setup in another thread. I have been using these for a while with good results. I think a lot of people think these engines run cooler than they actually do. I have also used the Venom temp monitors and they work good too, but they can be mounted so many different way's you can get mixed results. 1932, when you get yours installed will you share with us what temps your engine is running? Keep in mind that these traitech monitors record peak temps not an average of the whole flight. Checking after landing with an IR temp gun means nothing as far as flight temps! Thanks, Tony

Jedijody

50cc
Ohio AV8TOR;20567 wrote: That's a nice find 1932. For me though I am using a VVRC 40 twin with the 1/4x32 plugs and did not see one for that size plug. I am going to give them a call to see if I can bend one of the larger plug sensors and wire twist it in between the back side fins.

With a little ingenuity a 1/4" seat could be made fairly easily. If these use a typical type K thermocouple (most do) there are other options as well that don't need a ring under the plug.

50cc
I will post temps when have info. From my venom temps I to think a lot of engines are running hotter than is good for them. Both my syssa and bme 58 needed cooling work.

O

Ohio AV8TOR

Jedijody;20720 wrote: With a little ingenuity a 1/4" seat could be made fairly easily. If these use a typical type K thermocouple (most do) there are other options as well that don't need a ring under the plug.

I like your thinking and you are probably right. That thermocouple is probably crimped to the brass. All could be made from flat stock the thickness of the existing spark plug washer.

bob_nj

70cc twin V2
So what are the safe temp ranges for our gas engines?

I went through the painful art of baffling a few years back and it works well if done properly.

Unfortunately most don't fully understand what it takes to be done "properly"

Anyway, with that being said I neither have the time nor patience to baffle anymore.

Most cowls, especially the 50cc sizes don't allow proper baffling with the ability to remove and replace the cowling repeatedly.

The upside of the most 50cc airframes is that a lot of the cylinder head is out in the breeze.

I know the external heat gun sensor method is hokey, but is there a multiplier that can be used with the

external gun to get a real sense of engine temp immediately after landing?

Good to see Jodi again.  It's been awhile since I've seen him on the boards.  A wealth of experience and information for sure.

(Still trying to find the single space button  
icon_biggrin.gif

Take Care

Bob