• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Team 3DRCF Brian "Yak Dude" Strachan

gyro

GSN Contributor
Thanks for the update Brian, the plane looks great. It'll be awesome having you in NJ to compete! You're going to have to "bring it" as the competition is going to be tough!

Hello Everybody!

I'm currently sitting at the JFK airport shooting the bull with Gary, talking about the event and relaxing before a long trip home.

The last 4 days we've been up in NJ for the 3DHS FLI featuring the first ever 3DRCF 38 competition. After mulling it over a meal (the steak dinner he won -_-) we decided the event went pretty darn well. We had I believe 13 pilots competiting for the gold and I have to say all of the pilots displayed skill and a good show! I was thoroughly impressed. Outside of the competition a lot of wicked, cool, amazing and violent flying happened. From breaking off wings, tail dragging in weeds, exploding canopies, ripping off rudders, extreme carnage combat and over all nice flying, everyone gave it their all. I hope I'm not the only one who had a good time over the weekend and I hope we all get to make it back!

I'd also like to extend a congratulations to the top 5 pilots of the competiton. You all threw down and gave it your all! Awesome flying to everyone. It was a joy competitng with all of ya!

Thanks
Brian

Hey Guys,

Just getting home from a solid 3 weeks of traveling to 2 3D events and the F3A Pattern Nationals. I'd like to give a shout out and thanks to Gary for all of his support and accommodations in getting me to these events. Without Gary we wouldn't have 3DRC Forums or events like the ones we've recently enjoyed. Gary, 3DHS, Extreme Flight and Tail Dragger RC, thank you for your support and making these events possible for us to enjoy! It takes a lot of time and effort for you all to contribute to a hobby we all love so much. So again, we thank you.

A few weeks ago, Gary and I made our trip up to New Jersey for the 3DHS FLI and 3DRCF 38 as I previously mentioned.

After getting home from that event, my Mom and I began planning our trip to Muncie Indiana for the F3A Pattern NATS. We hooked up our Toy Hauler, loaded up some pattern planes and set off first to Baton Rouge, LA to meet with my Pattern coach Bryan Hebert. For 2 days we practiced and prepared to send me off to the NATS. After saying ou goodbyes to Bryan and friends, we started our 16 straight hour drive to Muncie. We arrived about 6:30 Sunday morning and began our setup. I managed to grab a couple practice flights that morning and evening. Competition started Monday morning. 23 pilots flew in the FAI (International level) and showed up to compete. 2 rounds of our preliminary schedule were flown and the first day was over. I had placed a very solid 12th place. 2nd day of competition, 2 more rounds of prelims were flown. I moved up to 11th place. 20 pilots made the Semi-Finals on Wednesday where we flew our more difficult F (finals) pattern. 8 finalists would proceed to the Finals on Thursday. I managed to move myself into a very respectable 9th place, missing the finals by only 20 points! I was honored to then be able to fly the "warm-up" flights for the Unknown sequence on Thursday. Over all this was a very successful year for us. We went expecting to place middle of the pack, and exceeded our expectations. For having limited practice and time on the airframe, we are very happy with the result!

On our trip home, Gary invited us to stop by the Extreme 3D Fly Low In, in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Chad at Tail Dragger was extremely kind and welcoming. He let me fly 2 of his 100c airframes to the extreme of their abilities. Chris Hinson was also very welcoming and let me fly 3 of his beloved airplanes. One of which isn't even in production yet! Thank you again for your kindness and letting my fly your awesome planes! On Saturday Jacob, Joe and I flew noon time demos, followed by Extreme FLight doing an awesome demo with their Outlaws, Chad again let me fly his 108" GP 123 powered EG Aircraft Slick in the noon time demo. I really enjoyed flying the plane and I hope I put on a good show!

The last thanks I would like to extend is to my Mom. Without her none of this would be possible for me. For 10 years she has supported me in every single way she can. Mom, I love you and I am grateful to have you every day!

Thank you all again!

Brian Strachan

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Hey Guys,

Just getting home from a solid 3 weeks of traveling to 2 3D events and the F3A Pattern Nationals. I'd like to give a shout out and thanks to Gary for all of his support and accommodations in getting me to these events. Without Gary we wouldn't have 3DRC Forums or events like the ones we've recently enjoyed. Gary, 3DHS, Extreme Flight and Tail Dragger RC, thank you for your support and making these events possible for us to enjoy! It takes a lot of time and effort for you all to contribute to a hobby we all love so much. So again, we thank you.

A few weeks ago, Gary and I made our trip up to New Jersey for the 3DHS FLI and 3DRCF 38 as I previously mentioned.

After getting home from that event, my Mom and I began planning our trip to Muncie Indiana for the F3A Pattern NATS. We hooked up our Toy Hauler, loaded up some pattern planes and set off first to Baton Rouge, LA to meet with my Pattern coach Bryan Hebert. For 2 days we practiced and prepared to send me off to the NATS. After saying ou goodbyes to Bryan and friends, we started our 16 straight hour drive to Muncie. We arrived about 6:30 Sunday morning and began our setup. I managed to grab a couple practice flights that morning and evening. Competition started Monday morning. 23 pilots flew in the FAI (International level) and showed up to compete. 2 rounds of our preliminary schedule were flown and the first day was over. I had placed a very solid 12th place. 2nd day of competition, 2 more rounds of prelims were flown. I moved up to 11th place. 20 pilots made the Semi-Finals on Wednesday where we flew our more difficult F (finals) pattern. 8 finalists would proceed to the Finals on Thursday. I managed to move myself into a very respectable 9th place, missing the finals by only 20 points! I was honored to then be able to fly the "warm-up" flights for the Unknown sequence on Thursday. Over all this was a very successful year for us. We went expecting to place middle of the pack, and exceeded our expectations. For having limited practice and time on the airframe, we are very happy with the result!

On our trip home, Gary invited us to stop by the Extreme 3D Fly Low In, in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Chad at Tail Dragger was extremely kind and welcoming. He let me fly 2 of his 100c airframes to the extreme of their abilities. Chris Hinson was also very welcoming and let me fly 3 of his beloved airplanes. One of which isn't even in production yet! Thank you again for your kindness and letting my fly your awesome planes! On Saturday Jacob, Joe and I flew noon time demos, followed by Extreme FLight doing an awesome demo with their Outlaws, Chad again let me fly his 108" GP 123 powered EG Aircraft Slick in the noon time demo. I really enjoyed flying the plane and I hope I put on a good show!

The last thanks I would like to extend is to my Mom. Without her none of this would be possible for me. For 10 years she has supported me in every single way she can. Mom, I love you and I am grateful to have you every day!

Thank you all again!

Brian Strachan

Brian, I was reading planning to give a huge shout out to your mom. Glad you added that at the end.
Here's to Brian's mom! I think she needs a "handle" too. How about "Yak mom!"
Wow boy, you have had one heck of a month! RC or bust huh? You are more proof for up and comings that precision + 3D = nice, precise 3D. You are a becoming a great ambassador. Keep it up. Hope to see you in person next year.

hone

150cc
Great job getting out there to all those events and flying. Sounds like a fun month. I enjoyed watching a lot of videos of you at the 3DRCF events.

By the way how would you say that 60'' Laser compares to the 64'' MXS? You did a great job flying both of those planes for them not being yours.

Well I figure it's about that time again huh?

Been away from the forums lately (Hope it's not TOO obvious!) so I hope to get back involved a little bit more.

It seems all of the things (Trucks, girls, and work) people told me would take me away from R/C sure has. Going through high school, keeping a social life and playing with my big boy toys has consistently drawn me away from my R/C roots, but it's time to get back into the swing a little. I've been talking with Gary getting ready for this year, planning to attend a few 3D events and such, but I probably won't be quite as active as years past. Just too much to do in life right now. As some of you know, my main focus is F3A pattern, and the Nats are coming up quickly in July. This year is a Team trials year to qualify for the US team. My mom and I plan to drive up, and (fingers crossed) qualify for the US team for 2015. If this happens, I will be traveling to Switzerland next year for the World Championships. My ultimate goal for my flying career before moving on to college and a work life.

It should be a very fun and exciting year for us, and I look forward to seeing and hanging out with as many of you as I can.

Let 2014 begin guys!

Thanks
Brian

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Good luck Brian. Just try to keep a finger or two in it as you go through this very exciting part of your life. I'm sure you motivate younger RC enthusiasts when they see you so that's a great legacy. Keep us posted.

gyro

GSN Contributor
[MENTION=413]Brian Yak Dude[/MENTION], any idea what we can do with these?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397168891.383714.jpg