• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Suggestions, Tips Welcome

PNut

New to GSN!
One of our members flys a neat
Brand from Australia
He flys the Kantana, but the electric Bi-Plane has always attracted my eye.

I've got a small "runway" behind my house, and he takes off and lands easily. So I think I'm going to buy a foamy the Spring to hone my skills (got a few hours in), and then buy the biplane later.

Any other suggestions or experiences to share?:flyer:

gyro

GSN Contributor
I'd say get a foamy from TwistedHobbys to start. They're extremely durable and with no wood, they repair easy, and are perfect for learning on.

Following that, I'd got for an EPP covered balsa plane, like the new Aerobeez Extra or Sbach, since they foam is easier to fix than ultracote. These planes have proven very durable too.

Then... Maybe a 48" - 60" Balsa plane will be calling for you :D

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I agree with Gary on the TH foamies (you could even get a Pitts!).
However if you are looking for a small electric biplane I have to recommend the Dynam Peaks. It's 42" wingspan makes for an easy transport and with several mods (on line at the other forum!!!) it is a great value. I've had a blast with mine. It's on skis now. Once you get "the bug" you will want a balsa plane. The performance is a big step up. There are several forum sponsors to look at and threads to read.
I've had an eye for a nice Prometheus or P3 biplane in a 60" electric - 50cc gas but it is a tall order. The design and manufacturing process is lengthy and expensive. The market share is just not there for biplanes unfortunately. You will not be disappointed with the 60" balsa electrics. I'd give the EF 60" Laser my highest recommendation. It can be quite tame with low throws and will never leave you wanting for any performance.
There's a little more than 2 cents worth. Good luck. Get a TH EPP foamie to start.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
TH Crack Yak and Realflight would be a great place to start.

Yes- +1. Any TH monoplane and a RealFlight sim will get you a long way for a relatively small investment. The sim will save you $100s if not thousands in the long run. It's fun too!

3dcarter

50cc
Yes- +1. Any TH monoplane and a RealFlight sim will get you a long way for a relatively small investment. The sim will save you $100s if not thousands in the long run. It's fun too!

Not only will real flight teach you how to fly, later in your experience it will help you hone your skills. When the weathers bad, or if you want to try a new maneuver, the sim is great. It's helped me learn how to do rollers, knife edge spins, rolling loops, weeble wobbles, crankshaft.. Etc. you get the point. The wise use of real flight and YouTube tutorials will save you a lot of time and money.

A foamy is a great place to start; I second [MENTION=3]GYRO[/MENTION] there. Make sure when you get into bigger planes you find someone who is capable of helping you. 60" electric planes are a good median.