• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Steven's Aero 50" Edge 540

Luv3d

70cc twin V2
Steven's Aero Edge 540 kit.

I built this with with a friend for several reasons:
1. It's fun to hang out with a great friend!
2. I love Edges
3. I wanted to build a kit- to go through all the steps that the factory does for our ARF kits!
4. I wanted to gain beneficial skills for any building / repairs going forward
5. I loved the AeroWorks 100cc Edge, but don't have a place to fly gas (and this was a way to build a cheaper, look-alike)
and last but not least...
6. I fly my stuff hard enough that I need to make repairs often; I thought this project would build needed skills to make better repairs.

Here are some details on the kit:
From the Steven's Aero website (Steven's Aero Edge)

"This RC model airplane laser cut kit was born out of the demand for a scale 3D capable aircraft based upon the simple construction techniques and solid flight performance of our innovative G-480. Our innovative design features many industry first building techniques including our Truss-Loc(tm) interlocking warren truss fuselage assembly and our D-Loc(tm) wing construction technique - the easiest and straightest d-tube wing you have ever built. Two piece plug-in wings and carbon wing spar for greater portability. Simple battery access designed to enhance cooling air-flow over sensitive electronic equipment.

Crisp Pattern Flier
Solid 3D performance
Large Scale airplane look and feel
Portable fits in your trunk!

Text book aerobatics wrapped in a no excuses Scale/Precision/3D capable airframe. Featuring a predictable flight envelope, point and go precision tracking, clean snap and spin characteristics, and excellent Knife Edge performance.

Kit includes: Precision laser cut parts, rolled computer drawn plan sheet, photo illustrated instruction manual, comprehensive hardware package (wheels, pushrods, carbon wing tube, pre-bent landing gear, motor mount, and misc. hardware), molded plastic cowl and canopy, and 3D flight guide.

Suggested Radio Gear: 4 micro servos (HS-65, or JR-DS285 suggested), 4-6ch receiver, and servo extensions two 6" and two 12".

Suggested Building Supplies: Thin CA glue, glue tips, balsa wood filler, sanding block, hobby knife, 2-3 rolls of AeroFILM or AeroFILM LITE covering material."

Last edited by a moderator:

Luv3d

70cc twin V2
Disclaimer

I will include many of my own pictures, but I have a friend who has been modeling for 40+ years. We bought the kits at the same time and he has already completed his, so I may share some of his photos. He know more than I have forgotten in the sum total of my life, and any chance to sit with him and build / learn is worth it's weight in gold. Thanks Mickey- if you ever see this.

We bought kits at the same time to participate in a 'build event' on another forum. Between work, kids and other life challenges, I have taken MUCH longer to build my aircraft than Mickey took to build his. In fact he has flown his several times already, and as I write this, I have yet to cover my elevator and rudder! Long story short- I'm learning a ton from a "YODA" in this hobby and I'm grateful for every moment- even beyond the friendship. Thank goodness there are people around today willing to dedicate their time to keeping this hobby alive.

Here are a compilation of techniques and instructions for how to build this model. Many are applicable to ANY model.

"Godspeed John Glenn" - Scott Carpenter, 20 February 1962

SnowDog

I built one of these a few years ago. I've built a number of kits over the years and this one was quite an excellent kit.
I'm looking forward to your build thread. One thing I can tell you is to beef up the counterbalances on the elevator...as designed they did not hold up very well to 3D flying. This plane builds extremely light, but sometimes at the cost of some structural strength.
The interlocking pieces in the kit are an amazing feat of engineering. You can put an entire component such as the elevator or the wing together without any glue!

Luv3d

70cc twin V2
Thanks for the tip on the counterbalance. I'll beef them up.

I have this almost done, but I have learned so much, I just wanted to shared the info/experience.

It truly is a nice kit!

Luv3d

70cc twin V2
I have been so swamped- I was unable to complete this a year ago (both the airplane and this build log). It is now done and has flown. I'm finishing this log now!

Here is the finished plane with my mentor:
MIckey1.jpg

Luv3d

70cc twin V2
Thanks- it was very rewarding and educational to do this- I'll be sharing what I learned with the group shortly, as I complete this.

SnowDog

Hey! I built one of those about 3 years ago...it was really a fun project. I'm interested to hear what you think about the plane, how it flies, how it holds up to violent 3D manuevers, and your overall impressions of the plane.