• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Stab mount screws

I'm assembling an EF 88 Edge. To get this into my car, I will have to remove the stabs. I'm thinking about using nylon thumb-screws much like what EF ships for the wing hold-downs (smaller diameter, of course). Has anyone else done this? Any better alternatives out there?

I doubt you would be able to get the proper torque on the thumb screw, vs a socket head screw.

Nylon is a wonderful thing, but taking the hatch off my OMP 330SC, which has full plastic screws (6), it is stinking slow.

A ball driver, a set of screws with bonded washers is a great combo. :)

Ok, I'm convinced. By the same logic, I should use SHC screws with bonded washers for wing hold-downs also. There's probably room to get to the screws with a driver inside the fuse. What do you think?

nebwake

70cc twin V2
depends on the plane. My 104" EF extra had kind of a combo deal with 1/4x20 nylon bolts plus smaller sized bolts with bonded washers. the big downside to 1/4x20 steel bolts and washers is simply the weight. I have also had a set of the aztec bonded washer nuts come loose on me because the stud came un-locktighted. I have never had a nylon wingbolt come loose. THat said, I would LOVE for wing assembly to be easiser and faster. Maybe Ill try a full bonded washer setup and just make sure they are nice and tight each time.

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
TnAeroNut;15896 wrote: Ok, I'm convinced. By the same logic, I should use SHC screws with bonded washers for wing hold-downs also. There's probably room to get to the screws with a driver inside the fuse. What do you think?

My suggestion is use what they send you...it works. On my 88 edge or the 104 extra for that matter the stab screws didn't line up perfect and I think it would be a major pain to try and put them on with thumb screws. You really don't need screws on the wings that are torqued super tight since the force is on the wing/stab tube however you need something that is resistant to vibration to keep the wings from sliding off. I also think that if you were using 3mm nylon screws on the stabs they will wear out pretty quick if you take them off every visit. Seacraft makes a knob for a 3mm screw that makes it easy to run up by hand and then you can snug down with a wrench...look for their canopy screws/washers however they are costly and the washer may be a little big for the stabs.

O

Ohio AV8TOR

Bunky F. Knuckle;15852 wrote:

A ball driver, a set of screws with bonded washers is a great combo. :)

What he said :nodding-yes-by-a-ve