• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

SPE43 Starting Problems

Hey folks. Have run into a problem with my SPE43v2. It is currently on a sig extra 300XS and has always run well. Very reliable starting, good idle, and a great top end. About a year ago I was doing some touch and goes and caught the prop, flipping the bird over and broke the tail section off. Well it sat in the shop for about 4 months before I repaired the damage. Tried starting it Late last winter and would only get it to pop but never run. Gave up and sat the bird aside until last week. Tried starting and could not even get a pop. Carb would not pull fuel which I believe was also causing this past winters starting woes. Wet the membrane(valves) in the carb, cleaned the low and high speed needles and the carb in general but still no fuel. Pulled the carb and put a DLE carb on it and it is now pulling fuel. Got one pop in about 300 flips so put away for night. BTW I pulled the plug and checked for spark and has a nice pretty blue one on each flip. The plug was wet with fuel when I pulled it.

Sorry for the long winded explanation but wanted to give details on where I am right now. Does anybody have any ideas/suggestions?:doh!:
Thanks.
CC

emtp275

100cc
@combat chicken do you have another Ignition you can try? I know it sparks durring the flip but it may not once the RPM increases. Cant remember if there were any damage to the cowl when you did that but if there were could the cowl have hit the hall sensor?

@combat chicken do you have another Ignition you can try? I know it sparks durring the flip but it may not once the RPM increases. Cant remember if there were any damage to the cowl when you did that but if there were could the cowl have hit the hall sensor?
Good idea. I have a spare and will give it a try. Cowl did move a little and did some repairs to it. Bottom of jug and plug did have some dirt on them. Thanks for the suggestion Justin. :attaboy:

jon595

50cc
You may have a bad silicone insulator in your cap. When it is under compression it will mis fire. Look for a discolored area, stick a small screw driver into the cap and see where it arcs when you flip the prop. Should arc outside of the silicone from the screwdriver to the cap edge. If it arcs through the silicone that is your problem. Good luck.