• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Small Gas 3D

Abrams

50cc
I still haven't ordered an airframe. I'm still hedging between a Volex and an AW Extra 260. I know... there is no compaison.

Most of the guys out at our field that do any 3D are 50cc and up. And there are not that many in the first place. There is one guy that has a Volex. He has had 3 68" electrics. Now he has a 70" with a 30cc DLE. He is of the opinion that the Volex will be marginal with a 20cc DLE. I need to hear that from someone who has flown one before I believe that. I am really interest in hearing opinions.

I saw his 70" Volex as he was packing up. I only saw the fuselage, but that plane is a lot bigger than I expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can see from my avatar the size comparison to other 30cc fuses. It is not much smaller than any of them, just with a thinner fuse and the wings have less chord. My 22cc Velox is just over 9lbs and I think it needs more power. It has about 14 lbs of thrust and that works out to a little less than 1.5:1. A 30cc would make it more in line with other planes, but it would build out close to 10lbs on the smaller wing area. I think the plane is nicer with less weight. Personally I am going to electrify mine to get the power without the weight. just only going to get 6 minutes of flight time.

The 15cc flew a few times, but I am having a fuel system and CG problem that just needs shop time. It flew pretty nice though. Not getting the power I want yet, but that probably has to do with problem #1. Also the ring has not seemed to have seated yet as the compression is pretty low. Other projects are getting in the way. I just spent the past 2 days finishing one of them.

Abrams

50cc
At some point during this thread I saw that Volex hanging on your wall and realized you're building a 15cc plane. And I'm thinking to myslef that Volex might not be all it's cracked up to be. I've watched the video on the 3DHS website a few times and was assuming that they were running a 20cc DLE. Could it be a 30cc they were running? The muffler and spark plug sticking down look like the 20cc.

gyro

GSN Contributor
At some point during this thread I saw that Volex hanging on your wall and realized you're building a 15cc plane. And I'm thinking to myslef that Volex might not be all it's cracked up to be. I've watched the video on the 3DHS website a few times and was assuming that they were running a 20cc DLE. Could it be a 30cc they were running? The muffler and spark plug sticking down look like the 20cc.

I had the Velox on E power, and then a 20CC engine. The e power definitely was stronger, but the 5-6 minute flights were to short. The 20cc was plenty of power for nice graceful 3D flying, and the velox is a harrier monster! very stable and forgiving down low. The 20cc will NOT blow the hatch of at full throttle, but will pull her out of a hover and provide enough energy to do all the standard 3D tricks.

The 70 Velox in the 3DHS video IS a 20cc, and Ben Fisher's personal preference on this plane is the 20cc sized engine.

I sold my Velox with DLE20 to JKim a few months ago, and he's been flying it very regularly since. I asked him to chime in here...

Abrams

50cc
GYRO, thanks for your input. That is very helpful.

I know the DLE20 has some issues. I'm already looking at changing out the piston ring (purchased and on the shelf) and the ignition (to eliminate the step). I've also been playing what carburetors lately with great success. I've read some stuff about exhaust, but not sure I will go there. I'm planning on getting near optimum power out of that engine. I think the DLE20 gets a bad rap for the goofy ignition step. I hear they are actually coming out with a new ignition that will come stock.

Hopefully I've stopped waffling and I've settle on the Velox. I've bought a few too many airframes that I later decided I didn't like. I'm trying to avoid that here.

Jkim

50cc

Hello Abrams, as Gary said I purchased the Velox from him with the DLE 20.
He is true in all aspects of his statement on its flying characteristics with the 20. However IMO I believe you need to do everything you can to get the maximum amount of power from it. Mine has a Bowman ring and also has the timing adjusted to 28 deg before TDC some say it does not work due to the way the ignition is designed for the 20 but I have seen nothing but success on my end with wonderful power, great transitions, and 2 flip starts.

Abrams

50cc
You have the original ignition?!? I played with the ignition timing on mine and it runs much better, but I don't know where it is set. I bought the bowman ring, but I haven't picked up a hone yet to cross hatch the cylinder.

gyro

GSN Contributor
You have the original ignition?!? I played with the ignition timing on mine and it runs much better, but I don't know where it is set. I bought the bowman ring, but I haven't picked up a hone yet to cross hatch the cylinder.

I don't think any cross hatching is required?

Jkim

50cc

I do have the original ignition... And have not done any modifications other than the bowman ring. Actually, Frank Bowmen is the one that set my ignition timing.

claytt

New to GSN!
looking for easy build arf, was going to get another Sabre 47 with Saito 82, but the redwing 20cc profiles with the DLE 20 got my attention, does this combination have enough power to pull out of a hover with authority?