• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport Shapeoko 3

daman691003

70cc twin V2
Wednesday I will receive my shapeoko 3. You guys can follow along in my trials and tribulations of cnc. I can already use autocad. For cam packaged I tried out a few. But I like cambam so far. I might buy it

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
what did the complete package cost you? did it include a computer to run the software?

according to the 2nd video the software is in beta...is that still true? you're a brave man!

Made in USA!
We designed the Shapeoko in California and Illinois. We extrude our aluminum in Pennsylvania. We cut our steel plates and make our electronics in California. We have a shop in Indiana make other small metal parts. Our boxes come from the US and we pack it up here too.

Last edited:

daman691003

70cc twin V2
So two months ago I pre ordered it for 400 upfront plus 649 at shipping time. Delivery is still a few weeks out but this weekend on the shapeoko forum I found a nib for 899. Plus shipping. So I jumped on that and cancled my pre order.
The working area is 16 x 16" but the owners promised a large format kit in a few months. This is a kit and you supply your own computer. The software im using is universal g code sendor with cambam. But there is more user friendly software out there. It does come with controller software.

BalsaDust

I have seen quite a few reviews of the shapeoko 2 on the woodworking YouTube channels I watch. They seem to really like. I would say the biggest problem with it is the router it comes with is a piece of crap as it just doesn't have much power and its worrthwhile to upgrade it.

daman691003

70cc twin V2
Yes so the 3 you supply your own router. I bought the dewalt 611. I also bought a super pid speed controller for it. So I can accurately lower the rpm.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
how much money would someone have to spend to be able to do their own ribs, formers, fuselage sides, etc in a ready to use product?

is ready to use really an option or are they all kits to a large degree?

daman691003

70cc twin V2
So ready to use will start at a couple grand or higher. But this is a great way to get in cheap. The motors all plug into the board. I will do some videos if you Guys want along the way.

BalsaDust

So @Bartman here is a review of inventables newest CNC the XCARVE. Biggest plus to this over the Shapeoko 2 (not sure about the 3) is there are far fewer parts so it goes together quicker. Yes it has to be built but I would think it would be well worth it as you get to know your machine and what to look at and address if things need to be fixed or adjusted. Also is a link to their website. You can easily go through their order form to get an idea of the cost of a new one.

https://www.inventables.com/technologies/x-carve

daman691003

70cc twin V2
Six carve looks nice and is bigger. But the extrusions are very small so people have complained about flexing. The shapeoko 3 is very beefy. And we are promised a larger upgrade kit in a couple months.