• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Servos, Which one and why, Competition or Weekend Warrior.

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
Savox 2270 on 7.4 V exactly, works awesome.
I use them for IMAC flying comps and on Freestyle comps as well, domestic and foreign.

SleepyC

150cc
I have heard good thinks about the new MKS servos, Hitec has always been good and the Futaba highend stuff has some of the best gears in the business..

flycanic

70cc twin V2
I have been using the Hitec 5625's mg, 5645's mg, 5985's mg 7985's mg 7955's tg. and the 5245's, used them in every thing from GS to small and large profiles to racers, all with no problem other than dumb thumbs, LOL!!! I love the programmability feature. Now with the new 2.4 and the programmability we can do right from the radio, I am switching over to the MKS HV777's just got in a huge box full of these for 4 projects I have in the works.I can't wait to see what they will be like. One thing I like about the MKS HV777's is that ALL the gears are Titanium unlike some others.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Pretty much every Hitec servo ever made. Had two 5485's that died unexpectedly. Immediately and totally free of charge replacement from Hitec Customer service. Most recently, 5625, 5645, and now on all my giant scale, 7954, 7980, 5665 for gas pedals, and now the new release 7950. I like the 7950's the most for control surfaces. 5665 for throttle. I do like the 7980's too. Not so quick, but PURE GRUNT. And now for the why. In over twenty years, only the two 5485's had issues. The rest flawless without a single jitter one.

yakken

100cc
Pretty much every Hitec servo ever made. Had two 5485's that died unexpectedly. Immediately and totally free of charge replacement from Hitec Customer service. Most recently, 5625, 5645, and now on all my giant scale, 7954, 7980, 5665 for gas pedals, and now the new release 7950. I like the 7950's the most for control surfaces. 5665 for throttle. I do like the 7980's too. Not so quick, but PURE GRUNT. And now for the why. In over twenty years, only the two 5485's had issues. The rest flawless without a single jitter one.
Thats what i dont understand. There are four of us that fly together and we all used hitec in every plane with 7955's and 7950's.they all got the jitters and had to be replaced. I am still flying my yak with 7955's. I sent them back twice and they are quiet for a couple flights and then go back to jittering. But there are a lot of people like you that have never had a problem with there servos. I think it must be the west virginia air.[emoji12]

flycanic

70cc twin V2
The first two Aerobatic 3D GS planes I assembled were H-9 with the JR DS-8411's. The JR DS9411's were not much better They jittered from day one and at the time JR's fix was to fill the top gear train section with petroleum jelly. Until they fixed their problem, which I believe had something to do with the Dead band width. The Futaba servo's were doing the same thing, jittering from the first test flight. When you made a close fly by you could see the elev., ailerons, and rudder waiving at you LOL!! I am no way a servo expert but the first digital servo's all the manufacturer's came out with most would, not use to day, but they were top of the line before then, The other option before the Digital age, Were the Monster size High torque BIG DADY's that were huge and had a whopping 133oz-in. high torque rating, or some of the others I used back in the day were the Futaba FP-s134 high torque servo's which were 3 times larger, and quite a bit heavier then the servo's of today with 4 times the torque. We have come along way since those days :yesss:

Last edited:

Jlc

70cc twin V2
I have been using the Hitec 5625's mg, 5645's mg, 5985's mg 7985's mg 7955's tg. and the 5245's, used them in every thing from GS to small and large profiles to racers, all with no problem other than dumb thumbs, LOL!!! I love the programmability feature. Now with the new 2.4 and the programmability we can do right from the radio, I am switching over to the MKS HV777's just got in a huge box full of these for 4 projects I have in the works.I can't wait to see what they will be like. One thing I like about the MKS HV777's is that ALL the gears are Titanium unlike some others.
I looked at the MKS HV777's but they wouldn't work in my application because they are very deep when compared too others.

flycanic

70cc twin V2
IMG_3753.JPG IMG_3758.JPG @Jlc Very good point of interest. I did quite a bit of measuring to make sure they would work for the application I will be using these servo's for. I took these photo's for those who are interested. the MKS HV777's are 5/16" deeper from the mounting tabs to the bottom of the servo then the Hitec 7955's. They are the same width and length as the 7955's FWIW

Last edited: