• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Servos best power and holding power

Spats

100cc
Soooo my big aileron Extra is flying and although my very old BLS157's work on the BIG ailerons I want something with more power.

I like what I hear about the Hitec 9380TH but those will not be back in stock until next year even though Tower says late October. And there is a loooong list of back order list for them. The Hitec 7980 has some serious power but can be a little slow I think (more of a big rudder servo).

I have been using MKS 777 servos on my little EF extra and love them so I have been thinking about trying the MKS 380's but I do not have any hands on reports about them. Has anyone tried them and if so in what plane?

Spats

Madinpensacola

70cc twin V2
Gabby flies the 380s on his PAU Edge in the XFC, TAS competitions as I recall. They seem to work. :first_place:
I keep trying to justify $2k worth of servos..... I will, of course, but still some coin over the 777s. ;)

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I have been looking hard at the 380's and the x-6 series. @Islandflyer has said the gears wear in and not out and I know from first hand use of the 777's the gear trains are the smoothest in the industry IMHO. No solid proof yet but I think the 380's are probably the "Tank" of standard size servos. If I had the money I would refit my 104 with em.

Spats

100cc
@express just got me set up with Hitec 9380TH I like these because of the holding power feature. They cannot fade as long as the battery has power. The servos have a regenerative function which sends power back to the batteries. They operate at 1/3 the power as a normal servo. This all from Hitec.

Spats

100cc
I have been looking hard at the 380's and the x-6 series. @Islandflyer has said the gears wear in and not out and I know from first hand use of the 777's the gear trains are the smoothest in the industry IMHO. No solid proof yet but I think the 380's are probably the "Tank" of standard size servos. If I had the money I would refit my 104 with em.

The MKS were my next choice if I couldn't get the 9380's.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Correct you are. Another awesome function of the servo is the constant torque output. We fitted a HUGE motor inside of these that was custom designed from the ground up, the circuit inside actually limits the power of the motor (we could make it push 800oz if we wanted it to, but the case and gears can't handle that torque). The torque also remains constant regardless of the voltage of your batteries- you may notice them slow down slightly as your packs start to get low, but they will never stop producing their full rated torque.

When they stall, they won't burn up because the circuitry actually cuts the power back. Should be plenty of servo for your gigantic ailerons.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Correct you are. Another awesome function of the servo is the constant torque output. We fitted a HUGE motor inside of these that was custom designed from the ground up, the circuit inside actually limits the power of the motor (we could make it push 800oz if we wanted it to, but the case and gears can't handle that torque). The torque also remains constant regardless of the voltage of your batteries- you may notice them slow down slightly as your packs start to get low, but they will never stop producing their full rated torque.

When they stall, they won't burn up because the circuitry actually cuts the power back. Should be plenty of servo for your gigantic ailerons.

Sounds like they did some A+ home work. Thanks for the "good" info! I know from earlier posts that they are using NEU motors! ......If only money was no object for me:face-palm:.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Currently running three HiTec 7955TG's on my 42% Raven rudder. Am thinking about replacing these with 2 more powerful servos, such as the MKS777 or equivalent. Save a bit of weight and batt draw. And yes, before you ask I've experimented and the Raven needs more than 2 of the 7955's can generate.

Somewhere I saw an up-to-date on-line listing of damn-near every servo made with specs. Can't seem to find it???

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Currently running three HiTec 7955TG's on my 42% Raven rudder. Am thinking about replacing these with 2 more powerful servos, such as the MKS777 or equivalent. Save a bit of weight and batt draw. And yes, before you ask I've experimented and the Raven needs more than 2 of the 7955's can generate.

Somewhere I saw an up-to-date on-line listing of damn-near every servo made with specs. Can't seem to find it???

Here ya go!
servo-database.gif

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1

Take a look at either the HS-7950TH or HSB-9380TH