• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Service-Check up for Airboss Elite 80A?

one of my favorite things to do if i'm wondering about an esc, (after i resolder the bullet connectors and battery connector, check it with a programming card if available and inspect it visually) is to put it on a large foamie and fly a bunch of packs with it . if it passes that test then i'm willing to put it into the balsa plane/more expensive airframe. i do this with crashed suspect speed controllers on my multirotors before putting them back on a quadcopter because we all know what happens if a speed controller goes bad on a quad.........when you do foamie flights make sure to do some choppy throttle motions to see if the esc is resetting or slow to give throttle back.

I would love to see it. Here is my current foamie with a 60 amp esc!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360285494.170325.jpg

jjohns51

30cc
As interesting and funn :) an idea that may be, one I dont "a" foamy, much less a big one. And ywo, I also dont have a program card. I prolly should start keeping an eye open for one huh? One of the quirkyest things about this hobby is one day you can confidently swear "nah, I don't need one of those, and likely never will", come a soon tomorrow guess what? I end up having stacks of things I had to buy to use just once. Vicious cycle.

SnowDog

As interesting and funn :) an idea that may be, one I dont "a" foamy, much less a big one. And ywo, I also dont have a program card. I prolly should start keeping an eye open for one huh? One of the quirkyest things about this hobby is one day you can confidently swear "nah, I don't need one of those, and likely never will", come a soon tomorrow guess what? I end up having stacks of things I had to buy to use just once. Vicious cycle.

I've been able to do all the programming that I need with my TX...if the programmer cards would be compatible across product lines, maybe I would invest in one...but since I usually only have to program the ESC once (if at all) when I install it in a plane, I just go with the TX programming route. ZTW ESC's are my favorite, and the last few I've purchased have defaults that work just fine for me. Some that I have had to program are easy enough with the TX.

EXTREME FLIGHT

SITE SPONSOR

Sorry I am so late in replying. I have had very little time to spend on the forums lately. My advice is to download the intruction manual for the Airboss from our website and follow the procedure described to reset everything to factory default settings. Verify that you are getting 5.8-6 volts from the lead that goes to the receiver when you have a battery plugged into the unit. If so test the ESC with a motor and servos and cylce the servos while the motor is running for a few minutes. If all checks out OK I would feel confident using the ESC.