• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Run It or Send it to DA?

Run It or Send It in to DA?

• Run It

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • Send It In

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
Ok, I can't decide what I need to do with my DA 60. I had problems with it burbling in the low and mid-range that I couldn't tune out. I changed out the diaphragm and other gaskets, put a nipple on the diaphragm breathing hole to run a line into the fuse, and changed the timing. There wasn't a whole lot of room to change the timing so I'm not too worried about that and it's as far back (retarted) as possible.

The thing that finally got it running right was changing out the diaphragm spring. I got the part at a trusted local outdoor power equipment repair shop. When I told them the part I needed they just grabbed what they had around the same size.

Now this new spring seems stiffer and my low end is 1 3/4 turns instead of something around 1 1/8 turns as recommended by DA. But now there is no burble and great transition from low to high and high to low.

So, should I pull off the motor and send it in to DA to have them check everything or run it as is?

If it's running well I see no sense in sending it in. DA does an excellent job building these motors but sometimes a tweak or two is needed to get them to perform at your location.

The problem is, everyone is so damned concerned about keeping a DA engine at the stock needle settings. You have to tune the carb for YOUR location. Those that say stock needle settings are what they use and the engine runs great there, they are full of it.

In a transition.... If the engine sags/bogs..... It is lean. If the engine burbles or stumbles (sounds like a 4 stroke engine) it is rich.

Tune the idle first, then tweek the hi. Most likely, the hi needle will be close. Each needle has some effect on the other...

So another club member is having trouble with his DA 60. He actually had 3 of these motors and sold 2 because of midrange issues. I'm going to replace the diaphragm spring in his and we're going to see what happens to try an duplicate the results. It'll be a few months before we have any results since the winter and spring weather here is poor for flying.