• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Roto Flow fuel tank

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
SlowHuck;17761 wrote: My guess is that engines run better on Avgas because of the lead. Better lubrication, thus cooler and quieter operation. When I was actively flying FS, I would ride my old Ironhead Sportster to the local county airport and keep it topped off with 100LL from the airplane pump. Ran much smoother and quieter (considerably less valve tapping). As an added bonus, it smelled like an airplane!

A couple of guys I know are also running AV gas in their planes. One of the airports is like three miles from the field. They swear by the stuff. They say their fuel lines don't harden after time like it does with regular pump gas. As an interjection, I have been keeping an eye on my fuel lines in all my planes. Some I built two years or more years ago using regular Tygon fuel tubing. So far all the lines in these planes are still as plyable and soft as the day I assembled them. But then, I don't use the regular pump gas. I'm told the "ethanol" is what hardens the fuel lines.

nebwake

70cc twin V2
I know that ethanol will kill your lines, seals, and other non alcohol safe stuff. It is not good for walboro carbs either. that is why flex fuel vehicles have special lines and seals.

SlowHuck;17761 wrote: My guess is that engines run better on Avgas because of the lead. Better lubrication, thus cooler and quieter operation. When I was actively flying FS, I would ride my old Ironhead Sportster to the local county airport and keep it topped off with 100LL from the airplane pump. Ran much smoother and quieter (considerably less valve tapping). As an added bonus, it smelled like an airplane!
I had a conversation with a guy yesterday about this subject and he agreed that it was the lead that helps in the Avgas; I think I'll take a trip over the airport this week and see if they'll sell me some.

PaPa-Doc

New to GSN!
Guys I was wondering if any of you are using the roto flow fuel tanks from www.jlproducts.net. These tanks look pretty neat and I was thinking of ordering one for my EF 104 extra.
Two or three years ago I bought five of these tanks for use in 30 cc and 50 cc gassers. Fuel was always ethanol free premium mixed with RedLine oil. After a few flights the first tank started getting air bubbles in the line to the carb. I contacted J L Products and they admitted they had a production problem causing leaky seals. They sent me a new tank and it did the same thing. All others, except one, developed the same problem and further contacts with J L Products failed to get any response. Only one of the original tanks is still functioning in an aircraft and I fly every flight expecting a problem to develop. I should just change out the tank but I'm either too stuborn or too cheap to do that. I now use Fourtitude tanks in all my other gassers and have been very pleased with them.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Two or three years ago I bought five of these tanks for use in 30 cc and 50 cc gassers. Fuel was always ethanol free premium mixed with RedLine oil. After a few flights the first tank started getting air bubbles in the line to the carb. I contacted J L Products and they admitted they had a production problem causing leaky seals. They sent me a new tank and it did the same thing. All others, except one, developed the same problem and further contacts with J L Products failed to get any response. Only one of the original tanks is still functioning in an aircraft and I fly every flight expecting a problem to develop. I should just change out the tank but I'm either too stuborn or too cheap to do that. I now use Fourtitude tanks in all my other gassers and have been very pleased with them.
Uh-huh! Figured sooner than later the truth would come out. Thank you for posting this information.

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
My concern with the roto tanks would be the o-ring seals failing.

I think next time I get fuel for the planes, I'll drive 10 miles round trip to get the ethanol free gas

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
My concern with the roto tanks would be the o-ring seals failing.

I think next time I get fuel for the planes, I'll drive 10 miles round trip to get the ethanol free gas
That's what I do. I can drive to a Boise Station...about 10 miles. Or I can drive to a Nampa station. Also about 10 miles. Makes no diff to me. Either way, I am more than willing to burn a gallon or two to get my babies the best fuel I can.

njswede

150cc
I've had a Rotoflow tank in my 3DHS 72" Extra for two seasons now without any issues. No leaks so far. It's hard to say if it's thanks to the tank, but this plane has never ever coughed after e.g. spins and poptops. All my other planes tend to occasionally do a couple of coughs and pops once I've done maneuvers that agitate the fuel a lot.

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
A couple of guys I know are also running AV gas in their planes. One of the airports is like three miles from the field. They swear by the stuff. They say their fuel lines don't harden after time like it does with regular pump gas. As an interjection, I have been keeping an eye on my fuel lines in all my planes. Some I built two years or more years ago using regular Tygon fuel tubing. So far all the lines in these planes are still as plyable and soft as the day I assembled them. But then, I don't use the regular pump gas. I'm told the "ethanol" is what hardens the fuel lines.

I am no gas or engine expert, but can say without hesitation that since I've been using non-ethanol car gas, I have not had a clunk line harden up. I firmly believe it is the ethanol screwing up the lines... I'm fortunate to have a convenient place to buy it, and I get 10 gallons at a time. It lasts me about 10-12 weeks.