• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Resurrecting an Old Favorite - 3DHS 87" Extra SHP

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
CF wing tube sleeve...Hysol'd in and alignment is near perfect with the stab tube. One mistake I made was to use a section of the old wing tube as the "mandrel" to form up the new sleeve. Turns out the old tube is 0.007-8 smaller OD than the new one, so the sleeve is VERY tight. Sanding the interior to get a nice slip fit now. Should have checked that before doing it....:lol2:
20161202_085228.jpg

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Cut out some 1/16 birch ply gussets for the top sides of the interior fuse. They box in the motobox structure with the exterior ply and really add a ton of stiffness and strength to the structure. Have a couple of more cross brace ones to make. Once these are all glued in I'll go back to the bottom.....finish up the cansister mounts, tunnel . stringers and balsa sheeting.
20161202_143147.jpg

SleepyC

150cc
Best plane ever. Even though Ben is a HUGH cock sucker and an *******, he made an amazing airplane.
If I could afford 1 airplane, this would be it.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Wow! Sleepy is in the house! Are you back as a full time member or just stopping in?

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Top 1/2 of the fuse is done! Straight as I can get it and seems stiff and strong. I may swiss-cheese the sides some more if I get bored....or let Shelby chew on it!
20161203_135250.jpg

I cut the canister mount outta the Aerobeez Edge (Hint....it will never fly again) and installed it in the Extra. Working on stringers and balsa sheeting now.
20161203_135212.jpg