• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Restoring The Yak

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Holy Crap Rob,

Look at the size of the freaking prop on the 3W. . . . :eek: I love the way the plane wants to roll when you bump the throttle from the torque of the engine. . . . . .:big_yes: The Saito 84 sounds sweet as well. The Evolution is OK in the last video, but I'd much rather have the SRT8. . .:laughing:

I guess the only thing left on this thread is a Maiden video. I cannot wait to see that, it's going to be AWESOME! ! ! ! !

Very nice Rob. Hope the 212 runs as good as 210. Now that you have my motor on your Yak, my Dalton should be finished in a week.....lol.. Maiden that puppy this weekend. I will try to make it out if you do. Glad you are happy with the 210.

LJ

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Holy Crap Rob,

Look at the size of the freaking prop on the 3W. . . . :eek: I love the way the plane wants to roll when you bump the throttle from the torque of the engine. . . . . .:big_yes: The Saito 84 sounds sweet as well. The Evolution is OK in the last video, but I'd much rather have the SRT8. . .:laughing:

I guess the only thing left on this thread is a Maiden video. I cannot wait to see that, it's going to be AWESOME! ! ! ! !
The Moki's really are a pretty awesome motor. The one I am really anxious to see is my friends Kolm four cylinder boxer. That'll be a knockout for sure. Get it? Knock out? Boxer? Oh I seriously missed my calling. Should have been a comedian. :laughing:
The 210 is going to be pretty awesome once it breaks in. After looking it over really well and after the first start up yesterday, I would be surprised if there was even a full gallon through that motor prior to me procuring it. Which means, it is going to take a good five gallons to even see the true potential of that motor. First start up, she was around 5200 rpm. Right were Gerhard and many who've owned a 210 suggest it should be. After the fourth and final run, she was up to about 5400. Well within the range. I see this motor being exactly what I had hoped for. I still have the cowl to install and some baffling to put in. So, even though I wanted to get that done yesterday, I will have to do that over the next couple of days before the weekend. Weather is not looking so good for a maiden. But will try if possible.
Very nice Rob. Hope the 212 runs as good as 210. Now that you have my motor on your Yak, my Dalton should be finished in a week.....lol.. Maiden that puppy this weekend. I will try to make it out if you do. Glad you are happy with the 210.

LJ
Actually the 212 runs as good. It's quite snappy on the throttle response. I highly doubt the Dalton will be done in a week Bruce. I mean, I am good, but not that good. Give me eight days though....I should be able to have it in that time frame. :spongebob:

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Makes me want a redhead some kinda bad. Might have to go paint the head of my DLE 55 red since I will never be able to afford a real one.
Hey @cbarnes0061 ,
Just do what I do. Save a little money at a time until you have enough to buy one. If that doesn't work, tell @Bartman you need a raise. . . . . . . :roflmao:. With that being said, I feel the need to give you a little warning. When you finally buy one and put it on an airplane, you're going to be hooked for life. You're never going to want another type of engine again. Rob said it very well, it takes at least 5 gallons of gas to fully break in a new 3W. Until then, it just keeps getting stronger and stronger. Of course, in his case with that Beast bolted on the firewall of his Yak, 5 gallons will be gone before he knows it. . . . . :yesss:.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Man that sounds, looks and is good one beautiful engine. BUT DID ALL NOTICE HOW HE GENTLY TOUCHED THE REB HEAS AT THE BEGINNING OF THE RUN.
Ps I do not believe you will ever notice the difference when it is broken in, you just have so much power it does no matter if you 100 or 300 more rpm.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
A couple of videos of some cool motors. Hopefully maiden this weekend if weather permits. Till then...
3w 210csts: Project: Pilot 40% Yak 54
Saito 84cc triple: Project: H-9 Focke Wulf
Moki 250cc five cylinder: Project: Turner Special
Very cool, they all sound awesome!

Your buddy has got all kinds of cool toys in his shop. I don't think that Performer RPM Air Gap Big Block Chevy intake manifold that's under the bench that the three cylinder was bolted to is going to fit on the Challenger.;)

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey @cbarnes0061 ,
Just do what I do. Save a little money at a time until you have enough to buy one. If that doesn't work, tell @Bartman you need a raise. . . . . . . :roflmao:. With that being said, I feel the need to give you a little warning. When you finally buy one and put it on an airplane, you're going to be hooked for life. You're never going to want another type of engine again. Rob said it very well, it takes at least 5 gallons of gas to fully break in a new 3W. Until then, it just keeps getting stronger and stronger. Of course, in his case with that Beast bolted on the firewall of his Yak, 5 gallons will be gone before he knows it. . . . . :yesss:.
It does keep getting better. But 5 gallons is actually far from being fully broken in on a 3dub. Usually around 5 gallons they start waking up. It wasn't until I had 10 gallons on my 157 and 170, that they really started "coming into their own". Now with about 12.5 on the 157 and about 11 on the 170, they are monsters. And they still keep getting better. I'm actually considering "uping" the prop on the 157. The 32x10 is breaking loose around 3/4 throttle. Yes, I do love these 3w's.
Man that sounds, looks and is good one beautiful engine. BUT DID ALL NOTICE HOW HE GENTLY TOUCHED THE REB HEAS AT THE BEGINNING OF THE RUN.
Ps I do not believe you will ever notice the difference when it is broken in, you just have so much power it does no matter if you 100 or 300 more rpm.
You're probably right... I think I'll just hover at idle. :laughing:

Your buddy has got all kinds of cool toys in his shop. I don't think that Performer RPM Air Gap Big Block Chevy intake manifold that's under the bench that the three cylinder was bolted to is going to fit on the Challenger.;)
He does at that. But the manifold is from the 67 Chevelle. The Challenger just got a Whipple blower. Along with everything else he did to that tired old 500 mile car/motor...about 600 ponies at the rear wheels. Doah!

That intake fits the 396 I got from Tom, that is now sitting in my 57 2dr post.

LJ

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I started working on the cowl today. I wanted to get the bottom opened up and reliefs opened for the exhaust stacks. I also wanted to put some baffle/deflectors in the front of the cowl to divert the incoming air across the big block cylinders. Keeping with the norm of 3 to 4 times the amount of air out as what is incoming, I chose to open the entire extreme bottom of the nodule on the bottom of the cowl. I figured by doing this it would be the best way to allow as much air out as possible. Plus, it makes for accessing the bottom cowl bolts a breeze to get to.

20160309_120928.jpg
20160309_120944.jpg

Once I had my opening cut out, I sanded the edges to give it a clean look.

20160309_122818.jpg
20160309_124209.jpg

Once that was done, it was time to open up the exhaust stack reliefs in the bottom of the cowl. Fortunately I did not have to take too much out. I have been so anal about this phase of this restore, but as I mentioned earlier... I was not objective to opening up what needed to be opened (within reason) for the big block 3dub.

20160309_130923.jpg
20160309_130929.jpg

The reliefs turned out pretty good. All that was left on them was to do a final edge sanding and done.

20160309_130935.jpg
20160309_132358.jpg

I decided to use the scrap from the bottom of the cowl to do as I did on my Sukhoi. I cut pieces to fit in the shape of a deflector to be placed on the front edge of the cowl nodule on the bottom.

20160309_140402.jpg

20160309_142820.jpg

Once I had the deflector in place and glue cured, I test fit the cowl with most everything in place. It actually turned out ok. I hate cutting up a beautiful cowl, but it is what needed to be done.

20160309_155500.jpg

Next it was time to add baffling deflectors. I utilized the parts from the previous cowl. I considered using black Carbon Fiber, but soon realized it really wouldn't look all that great due to the cowl being black up front. So this is what I came up with. Top section in place.

20160309_170038.jpg

Top section trimmed to fit the 210. There is quite a difference between the original 170cs that was in it. The top and bottom half moons are basically flush with the front of the cowl. The center sections angle back towards the motor.

20160309_210959.jpg

Once everything was in place, I finished by adding the sections that meet up to the cylinders to keep the air squished so that it "HAS" to go through the fins before exiting the bottom of the cowl. Later on if I need to open up for more air flow, I will simply open up the vents in the belly of the fuse. With the prop and spinner on, she looks pretty good.

20160309_220854.jpg

Of course no big Yak with a big block red headed beast up front would be complete without the signifying decal of what is "stuffed" under the hood.

20160309_222112.jpg
20160309_222128.jpg
20160309_222959.jpg

And with the canopy put in place and a quick clean cloth....the Yak is wiped down and ready for her maiden. I am not sure the weather is going to be favorable this weekend. But I am not counting it out yet.

At last...after a very long and very decision intensive process, the big Yak is finally done. DONE... whoa. I can't believe it. I sure hope she flies as good as she looks.

As a side note: I plan to get back to the Dalton in the next day or so. This Yak was a challenge. But from what I've done thus far on the Dalton Extra, The Yak was cake. I really hope the Dalton turns out as pretty as the Yak.

Last edited: