• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Restoring The Yak

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
So? We all in store for yet another change of direction? First, I will say that the 212 is an awesome motor. Smooth, and I believe it would be pretty cool on the Yak. From the start of this restore, I actually had (to me) a more desirable choice of a motor, but couldn't find one. Turns out, my friend came off the one I really wanted from the beginning. Almost brand new and I'm quite certain the Yak is going to love it. I know I will. Rediculous stupid power.
20160306_210928.jpg
20160306_210939.jpg
20160306_210946.jpg
20160306_211016.jpg

There were a number of reasons for going to the 210csts. The biggest being the cowl. I decided if I am going to put holes in that 200 dollar chunk of fiberglass and paint, it was going to be due to some insanely retarded powerhouse. The 210 is also about a pound or more lighter than the 212. Plus baffling will be a freeking breeze. Same size or larger prop, and just look at that red headed beauty. I'm jacked again guys. I plan to have this baby mounted...tonight. if possible.

I've started by epoxing dowels in the original holes. Once the epoxy is cured, I will sand completely flush and begin the 210 installation.
20160306_211031.jpg

One way or another, this monster maidens "this" month.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
With the epoxied dowels cured, mounting hole lines drawn and firewall re-sanded,
20160307_003238.jpg
the 210 is hung. Not permanent, just to insure correct alignment.
20160307_025324.jpg

It lined up very well and is probably closer to dead center than the 212 was. The 212 was actually off center by 1/16". I did a dry fit of the cowl and it looks as though the big twin is pretty much right where it needs to be.
20160307_025150.jpg

I have all four mounting bolts in, however only one snuggled up just to check clearance. I will need to get a bit longer bolts when Tacoma Screw opens. I need another 1" to allow for the standoffs. That massive 210 flat eats up any extra space inside the cowl. It does however leave about 1/2" space between the front plug caps and the cowl. She fits in there quite nicely. There ain't gonna be no mistaken that brute looking from the outside in.
20160307_025342.jpg

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
HOLY CRAP ! ! ! ! ! I guess we'll find out how well Pilot ARF's are really built now. I sure hope they put some extra glue in this one, it's going to need it. . . . . :roflmao:

Man, you have to be on cloud 9 right about now. . . . . . :yesss:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
WOW did not see that one coming. Man another beautiful 3w red head. It looks like new. You had better put a restricter plate on that one, it must have massive power. You be able to take of on idle. Have fun with it.