• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

RC on the cheap

There are a few things I will buy from HK.

1) Their DSM2 4 channel RXs for foamies. They are the lightest I have found.
2) I agree on their arms. They are SWB clones, CNC alloy arms. Slightly different color annodizing.
3) I just got some teflon couplers and clamps because they were the easiest place I found them.
4) I am using Gary's hat cam. Have to go to a much heavier camera for better video. I hope the new Horizon one is better.
5) I personally like Zippy Compact batteries as they allow you to get more capacity for the same weight.

My experience with Nanotech has been uneven. The higher C packs seem to be more inline with the competition.
When I buy new packs these days I tend to go with Glacier or Gens Ace. I will give Yellow Jackets a try at some point.

Also their Easy Match line of motors has worked well for me. We have found that the Power 46 motor runs very well on 6S with a 11x7 prop for those occasions when you want to make a Toledo Special or Trainair go 100+ mph.

For 3D motors you are better off with Motrolfly, Hacker, and in the foamies size go with Twisted Crack series, or the Cobra line. Scorpion makes a good quality product. This is a area you do not want to skimp.

I used to buy HK ESC, but ever since I discovered both the Hobby Wing line and the ZTW Gecko series, I don't see a reason to get them anymore. I have had a number of duds or ones that go bad very quickly. Also Castle's new Talon line is pretty reasonable. I saw in the LHS today their 15A ESC with a 8A! BEC.

At our local RC Auction I luckily dumped a lot of old HK stuff I had laying around from when I did not know any better and I did not want to waste the time to put it into one of my planes.

I will have to acknowledge their audacity for some of their 3D planes names. At least they give us something to laugh about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
A good source of cheap local dsm2 receivers is the Lemon RX line from readytoflyquads.com. I use genuine Spektrum/JR DSMX in anything that has money in it but these are great because I build cheap stuff from Flite Test out of foam board every now and then for newcomers to the hobby to try without being intimidated. I have yet to talk to someone who used them who's also had a bad experience. Can't beat $5 and local. Just make sure you don't buy one without the pins because they sell one where you put your own pins on. But they have ones with pins too.

Luke's rc has a brick and mortar store. So I can buy glacier batteries, suppo motors and ESCs, and anything from buddy rc locally. I've eliminated hk from anything with money in it a while ago and have been able to eliminate them from cheap stuff as well.

Gyro, Snowdog, or 3DMIKE this would be a good discussion for its own thread. What do you think? We could talk about good vendors with good service that deal to RCers who want to save a little cash and put something together on the cheap.

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
Thanks Gary.

I'll start with the budget shops that I'm familiar with.
1. Altitude hobbies
2. Buddy RC
3. Ready to fly quads
4. Radical rc
5. Va models
6. Laser toys

Heads Up RC
West Michigan Parkflyers has the DSM44 servos I use in foamies

I do get select stuff from HK and Hobbypartz. Just today I was assembling a rudder servo tray I got from HK that is 30% or less the cost than from a US vendor. CNC aluminum is CNC aluminum. That savings pays for the other servo for the dual setup. My 110 yak needs the torque on that massive rudder.

I wanted to do something up on budget builds versus higher end ones. It is possible to get into a 50cc for the price of a well equiped 30cc and you would have a valid argument either way on which is "better".

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
Very true. If I had the funds I'd build two airframes side by side. One with budget gear and one with top end gear and test them both. But I'm an entry level chemist. I need to get a promotion or two before I can really go nuts.