• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pull pull or Push Pull

Lojik

70cc twin V2
Im contemplating push pull on my 3dhs yak. Its gonna have a 70 twin up front so the rudder down back might be a better option.

For larger birds 3m+ would you run a servo each side and match them to maintain power in the rudder or go pull pull?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
in an ideal world, all of the weight/mass associated with power, controls, structure would be concentrated at the CG making the tips, tail, nose as light as possible so the plane would start and stop maneuvers instantly. i understand the problem with slop in controls but the more we put heavy servos in the tail and out in the wings we move away from the ideal for an airplane that is supposed to be maneuverable.

one more servo in the tail might not make a huge difference but it would be interesting to see how much of a difference it would make if the servos were all centrally located near the CG with the batteries and fuel tank. unless you pull a P-39 then engine is likely staying out in the nose but everything else in a large airframe could be mounted in the fuselage. the challenge is to maintain really tight positive control without slop.

just thinking out loud :)

Last edited:

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Pull-pull and push pull both work fine
The ideal push-pull system is two servos, one pushing when the other pulls. This set up is more critical than pull-pull, as the geometry and programming has to be perfect in order to avoid one servo fighting the other at all points of the travel.
Single servo push-pull is not ideal: pulling action is fine, but each time the servo pushes, you are essentially trying to de-hinge the rudder, and resistance from the hinges at the control horn location is what makes the rudder turn. With hard flying and lots of rudder use, these hinges often don't last very long.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
in an ideal world, all of the weight/mass associated with power, controls, structure would be concentrated at the CG making the tips, tail, nose as light as possible so the plane would start and stop maneuvers instantly. i understand the problem with slop in controls but the more we put heavy servos in the tail and out in the wings we move away from the ideal for an airplane that is supposed to be maneuverable.

one more servo in the tail might not make a huge difference but it would be interesting to see how much of a difference it would make if the servos were all centrally located near the CG with the batteries and fuel tank. unless you pull a P-39 then engine is likely staying out in the nose but everything else is a large airframe could be mounted in the fuselage. the challenge is to maintain really tight positive control without slop.

just thinking out loud :)
Totally agree Bart. Last IMAC contest we were discussing this idea. I've often wondered why no one has put the aileron servos in the fuse, using a CF tube torsion rod for the hinge, with quick connect couplings for wing removal. Could have multiple ganged servos all neatly tucked in at the center of mass. Also less wiring.

Elevators could be done with a CF push pull and bellcrank.

OK @Terryscustom there's your next project !!!