• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Project Stearman

thepamster

70cc twin V2
Rodman, do you have any photos of your ailerons and how they are constructed? I am interested in how the leading edges are constructed, shaped, and hinged.

rodman

50cc
thepamster;20591 wrote: Is that a BT-5 rocket tube body?

The cardboard tubes and miniature piano hinges I got from (Nick Ziroli plans online)

the description reads "Cardboard tube 11/16 x 36in (for servo wires) Qty.6 $ 5.00"

they were listed under Catalog - Building supplies and tools - bottom of the wing tube listing.

here is a link to their home page http://www.ziroliplans.com/ziroliplans/home_frameset.html

I was looking around for the miniature piano hinges when i found the tubes on his page.

rodman

50cc
thepamster;20599 wrote: Rodman, do you have any photos of your ailerons and how they are constructed? I am interested in how the leading edges are constructed, shaped, and hinged.

The wings and ailerons were already constructed and covered when I bought the airframe, the aileron pocket is the typical square box

the Aileron top leading edge is slanted farther forward then the bottom and it is hinged from the top of the aileron.

This means that most of your movement will be upwards and very little downward, but because this is a flat bottom airfoil

that's what you will need anyway to overcome the high lift of the wing.

Lower right wing.

IMG_20140927_080222239_zpsxiv5y52s.jpg

Aileron top view

IMG_20140927_080435987_zpsdzvh8lcu.jpg

aileron leading edge

IMG_20140927_080454056_zpsaeti2dtz.jpg

rodman

50cc
Here I cut a piece of mini piano hinge for the hatch

this and the cardboard tubes I got from Ziroli models.

IMAG0303_zpsn2zy8dxt.jpg

Trial fit of the hatch and hinge.

IMAG0304_zpsnypnnidx.jpg

IMAG0305_zps18xsdfir.jpg

Here I have the hatch clamped in place to give me an idea how its going to look and work.

IMAG0306_zpsumpp2okc.jpg

Once everything is covered the plywood will get sheet metal over it

with a lot of screws just like the real airplane has