• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Preventative Maintenance

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
.......Not really a pm schedule, every flight should have a look over before the next though.
I usually go through mine front to back before every event, at beginning of season and check motor, exhaust and prop bolts every 15-20 flights. And wings hardware every time its coming out of the bags.
This is my approach as well. And before every contest, I'll pull the spinner to check prop bolt torque. Also pull the cowl to give a look/tug on everything. When ironing out wrinkles (HATE them!!!) also check for broken sheeting, etc beneath.

I got sick of logging stuff back in the full scale days, so even though it can/might be useful I don't do it anymore. I will make notes on my phone for things I need to check/adjust/repair later.

Lojik

70cc twin V2
I do a once over each flying weekend and then twice a year I do a full check in the workshop, things i look for on weekends:

loose bolts
looks spinner, spats, cowl, canopy
wear and tear on wing nuts
servo leads, receiver connections and power connections
fuel line

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Not flying much in the heat these days so going over my planes checking everything. Removed and replaced some oem servo arms, double checked bolts, replaced some fuel tubing, etc. Might not be necessary but feels good.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I tried the T3chDad and the RCLogbook apps. I just couldn't get into a constant habit of updating it. It has always been easier for me to keep a journal on every plane. It's easier for me to write it down in a note book than to plug that info. into the apps. Just me...Guess I am lazy. LOL...

But the journal works great for me. I keep a constant record of total number of flights each time I fly. A record of each charge on batteries so that I can refer back to them periodically for reference. I also keep a constant record of each maintenance procedure I preform on each aircraft. Each time I am done for the day, A good cleaning, inspection and log of needed attention is written down. Hey, old guys like me forget. I suppose I am a bit anal, but I usually only find a little covering that needs a quick wrinkle removed, or tread on wheels that are getting thin.

I do find that I spend more time maintaining my fleet now than I did before. Guess that goes with the territory huh? If I remove a cowl for any reason, I do a complete inspection of all parts under the hood.

One thing I have been schooling myself on lately is keeping an eye on prop bolts. Since I sheered two on my Sukhoi earlier this year, it has made me ultra cautious of not letting them go too long without checking the torque on them.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Not flying much in the heat these days so going over my planes checking everything. Removed and replaced some oem servo arms, double checked bolts, replaced some fuel tubing, etc. Might not be necessary but feels good.
I've been known to replace things just because I didn't like the way it looked. Maybe it's not necessary but like you said...sure makes ya feel good. LOL