• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Post your servo, receiver, and battery setups

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I would run AR9030 Rx's and dual HD power leads Like I did with the AR8000.

That is what it takes in my opinion to have success with Spektrum Receivers, plenty of power. Most of the guys at my field fly Spektrum. There are a couple of Futaba guys, and a few like me that use JR transmitters and Spektrum receivers. The only guys that seem to have problems are the guys that are still stuck on NiCads or the guys that cant remember when they charged there batteries last. I have heard this twice at my field after crashes. "I can't understand why those batteries went dead, I just charged them a few weeks ago and I've only flown it twice". That's not word for word, but close enough.

The guys that run two LiIon's, A123'S, or Lipo's, don't seem to have any problems. For the last 5 years I've been running two 2500mah A123's with Spektrum receivers in my 30% planes and haven't had any problems, not even a glitch that wasn't owner induced. On my Heli's I run one 2100 LiFe and split off with two 20 gauge leads from the deans and into the reciever/gyro.

For my new Extra I was lucky and scored a new, old style, 12 channel PowerSafe receiver from a friend, and I'm running that on High Voltage with two 5000mah 2 cell Pulse LiPo's.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
That is what it takes in my opinion to have success with Spektrum Receivers, plenty of power. Most of the guys at my field fly Spektrum. There are a couple of Futaba guys, and a few like me that use JR transmitters and Spektrum receivers. The only guys that seem to have problems are the guys that are still stuck on NiCads or the guys that cant remember when they charged there batteries last. I have heard this twice at my field after crashes. "I can't understand why those batteries went dead, I just charged them a few weeks ago and I've only flown it twice". That's not word for word, but close enough.

The guys that run two LiIon's, A123'S, or Lipo's, don't seem to have any problems. For the last 5 years I've been running two 2500mah A123's with Spektrum receivers in my 30% planes and haven't had any problems, not even a glitch that wasn't owner induced. On my Heli's I run one 2100 LiFe and split off with two 20 gauge leads from the deans and into the reciever/gyro.

For my new Extra I was lucky and scored a new, old style, 12 channel PowerSafe receiver from a friend, and I'm running that on High Voltage with two 5000mah 2 cell Pulse LiPo's.

I agree with you 100 % about battery's just about every time some body has a problem with their plane and or engine it is the battery's. Just the other day flying at the field. A person was flying at the field and the engine started to stumble near the end of the flight. After he landed he started to try to tune to get rid of the stumbling and after a while it would not run at all, so I was asked to help well doing the usual standard procedure I find the ignition battery at 3.4 volt at no load. Guess what charged the battery and all was good. Then I asked him did you not change it today he said yes. Did not think about it and just continue flying. Boy if my battery was flat after 2 flights it would checked and or replace it but he didn't think anything of it and went flying. Just do not understand some people.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2

I run JR and Futaba now. I used to run JR, Spektrum, and Futaba. No issues with any of them. I did have a battery go bad once on a plane and that was it. That was back in the day before the better chemistries really took hold. I switched over to A123 in my 30% stuff and smaller and even have A123s in a 35%er just to see how they do and so far not bad at all. I run Fromco LIONS on my other 35%er.

One guy I fly with is dedicated and DIE-hard NICAD. You cannot tell him a thing. He is stuck on them like glue and swears by them and no use discussing battery chemistry with him at all. At lot of guys have told him about the better chemistries that they use and how good it has been for them and still no go.

If there is one thing I have learned is that some folks never change. They would probably still be using outdoor johns because an indoor john with plumbing is evil :D

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I run JR and Futaba now. I used to run JR, Spektrum, and Futaba. No issues with any of them. I did have a battery go bad once on a plane and that was it. That was back in the day before the better chemistries really took hold. I switched over to A123 in my 30% stuff and smaller and even have A123s in a 35%er just to see how they do and so far not bad at all. I run Fromco LIONS on my other 35%er.

One guy I fly with is dedicated and DIE-hard NICAD. You cannot tell him a thing. He is stuck on them like glue and swears by them and no use discussing battery chemistry with him at all. At lot of guys have told him about the better chemistries that they use and how good it has been for them and still no go.

If there is one thing I have learned is that some folks never change. They would probably still be using outdoor johns because an indoor john with plumbing is evil :D
Yeah I think the 4.8 Ni-Cad pack was the death of many an airplane with a Spektrum receiver. It might be fine in a trainer with 4 nothing servo's, but put a load on it and brown out city!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I agree with all that is said. But I must say that I have seen some of the older guys do some pretty stupid things with the newer chemistries when it comes to changing and looking after them . The one thing NiCad had going for them was that you could abuse them. The new stuff not and a lot of them leave them fully charged and continue to fully charge them over and over as if it is a NiCad. Most of them are pretty much puffed up.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I agree with all that is said. But I must say that I have seen some of the older guys do some pretty stupid things with the newer chemistries when it comes to changing and looking after them . The one thing NiCad had going for them was that you could abuse them. The new stuff not and a lot of them leave them fully charged and continue to fully charge them over and over as if it is a NiCad. Most of them are pretty much puffed up.

I have seen all ages mess around with a Lipo only to get burned. I have been using Lipos over NiCds for years since the chemistry was first introduced. I paid attention to the quality use and review articles over the years and have had no problems. A younger friend of mine just learned how to NOT charge Lipos by demonstrating an unattended charging session of swelled packs. Now that he lost his trailer with some planes and a brand new DX20 I think he may switch to something else. For me. I enjoy the power density (C discharge rating) and relatively light weight of the newer lipo chemistries. I remember when the best lipos only had a 10c rating and 4c was typical.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
The one thing I don't like about having LiPo's in my 35% Extra is taking my charger to the field with me. I have a small truck and it's so packed full already I hate bringing the charger case too. I'm too paranoid to charge the night before, and running too late in the morning to do it, so I do it at the field. That way I can do a storage charge before I go home as well.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I love all the cemetery's they are good some have advantages over others. The only problem I have ever had is forgetting to turn of the plane off and then going to fly again and finding them bead and needing 2 new battery packs that is the only problem I am having.
That is the reason I am slowly building some super bright LED for my planes and installing them in to the plane to remind me to turn the plane off.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I love all the cemetery's they are good some have advantages over others. The only problem I have ever had is forgetting to turn of the plane off and then going to fly again and finding them bead and needing 2 new battery packs that is the only problem I am having.
That is the reason I am slowly building some super bright LED for my planes and installing them in to the plane to remind me to turn the plane off.

AH HA! Now I get it.....DOH! :laughing:.

0718170245-00.jpg