• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot 40% 330 Recover and Build

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
It looks as though I have become a painter. LOL. I have now gotten past phase two of this mind twisting endeavor of painting. First phase of getting the canopy prepped and primed. That came off great. Second phase of getting the canopy green. Hmm.... I think I quite like this stuff. It makes me work hard for a great outcome. And I have been learning a lot too. Stumbling along the way, but making progress. So, first thing to do was to get some "pinking' tape on the canopy. I just hate "bleed" lines. That is "after" I wet sanded the primer with 600 grit wet/dry. I was assured from WWRC, that sanding the primer to get a babies butt smoothness was ok. So... I did. LOL

20180626_200144.jpg

Next, barrier tape over the top of the pinking tape.

20180626_200153.jpg

And here we have yet another lessons learned. When I painted the canopy on the Pitts and the replacement canopy on the Behemoth Yak (2), I threw away the protective paint bonnets between priming, painting and clear coating process. Not this time.

20180626_200603.jpg

With the bonnet replaced and another strip of masking tape around the edges to keep it in place, I went to painting...

20180626_201550.jpg 20180626_202304.jpg

First coat of Apple Green paint applied.

20180626_202433.jpg 20180626_202438.jpg

Two coats applied and the color is beginning to show...

20180626_202930.jpg 20180626_202936.jpg

Three coats on and I think we are pretty close. Next to the scrap of Ultracote Apple Green, it is really looking pretty close. Maaaaybe….one more coat?!?

20180626_203844.jpg

Yup, I think that is it! The paint will not "sheen" up and match perfectly until the clear coat is applied. But I think we are pretty darn close. I am not going to go any deeper with the paint. Four coats looks like it will be just enough.

20180626_205101.jpg

I removed the protective paint bonnet and all the tape. I will let the canopy cure really well before I shoot the clear coat. I will probably shoot both the canopy and the cowl at the same time. The catalyst activated clear coat will not keep long enough for me to shoot the canopy then work on the cowl and get it ready for primer and paint. So for now, we will just let the canopy hide in a secure dust free, dark hidden place. (Under my stairs in the coat closet. LOL) Crazy thing about this paint, (Wings West RC) is that it doesn't look like it lays down smooth. It gives the impression of an almost "Orange Peel" effect. But true to their word, Wings West states that once the paint cures and dries a bit, it becomes smooth as silk. We all know the Pitts painting sage right? And once it was dried and the clear coat on, it was simply beautiful. Still is to this date. Looks as fresh and crisp as the day it was shot over a year ago. I am certain the 330 paint will turn out the same way.

20180626_205803.jpg 20180626_205810.jpg

So that is it for tonight guys. I am going to "try" to get to the cowl tomorrow night. I would like to at least start sanding on it. We'll see how that goes. These 14 hour days don't allow much shop time. Come to think of it, they don't allow for much of "anything" time. LOL

More later fellas....

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Looks great Rob.
Thank you Doug. I hope one of these days I will stop myself when I see a plane that, "Oh, I just gotta have that." "I can recover it in a custom scheme and paint it to match and.....". LOL.... The end result usually makes all the effort worth it. But my friend, I am not so sure I would like to be a professional painter. :laughing:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Yes looks very nice Rob. Going to need some of that kind of Painting talent (and then some) to fix my van. Met up with a Ford Ranger rear bumper today :oops:. My Toyota's front end lost the fight miserably :face-palm:. Ford-1 Toyota-0. Ford had a slight scratch on the bumper. Mine got hit like Mike Tyson was angry at it :mad:. Going to need new head lamps, new hood, new ac condenser and piping, new radiator and fans, new sub chassis bracket to hold said radiator and fans. And new fake front plastic bumper :ugh:. 46 years of driving and I get it with a run to the post office. Sheesh :rolleyes:. :laughing:

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Yes looks very nice Rob. Going to need some of that kind of Painting talent (and then some) to fix my van. Met up with a Ford Ranger rear bumper today :oops:. My Toyota's front end lost the fight miserably :face-palm:. Ford-1 Toyota-0. Ford had a slight scratch on the bumper. Mine got hit like Mike Tyson was angry at it :mad:. Going to need new head lamps, new hood, new ac condenser and piping, new radiator and fans, new sub chassis bracket to hold said radiator and fans. And new fake front plastic bumper :ugh:. 46 years of driving and I get it with a run to the post office. Sheesh :rolleyes:. :laughing:

Damn the luck. Hope you weren’t hurt?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Dang Kelly... you ok? The Toy can be repaired, you maybe not so much. Sorry about your accident. Maybe we can just buy lots of rattle can paint and make the Toy look new again?!?!
shocked-smiley-emoticon.gif

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Sorry to hear that the only thing is are you ok. The car can be fixed.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
It looks as though I have become a painter. LOL. I have now gotten past phase two of this mind twisting endeavor of painting. First phase of getting the canopy prepped and primed. That came off great. Second phase of getting the canopy green. Hmm.... I think I quite like this stuff. It makes me work hard for a great outcome. And I have been learning a lot too. Stumbling along the way, but making progress. So, first thing to do was to get some "pinking' tape on the canopy. I just hate "bleed" lines. That is "after" I wet sanded the primer with 600 grit wet/dry. I was assured from WWRC, that sanding the primer to get a babies butt smoothness was ok. So... I did. LOL

View attachment 104044

Next, barrier tape over the top of the pinking tape.

View attachment 104045

And here we have yet another lessons learned. When I painted the canopy on the Pitts and the replacement canopy on the Behemoth Yak (2), I threw away the protective paint bonnets between priming, painting and clear coating process. Not this time.

View attachment 104046

With the bonnet replaced and another strip of masking tape around the edges to keep it in place, I went to painting...

View attachment 104047 View attachment 104048

First coat of Apple Green paint applied.

View attachment 104049 View attachment 104050

Two coats applied and the color is beginning to show...

View attachment 104051 View attachment 104052

Three coats on and I think we are pretty close. Next to the scrap of Ultracote Apple Green, it is really looking pretty close. Maaaaybe….one more coat?!?

View attachment 104053

Yup, I think that is it! The paint will not "sheen" up and match perfectly until the clear coat is applied. But I think we are pretty darn close. I am not going to go any deeper with the paint. Four coats looks like it will be just enough.

View attachment 104055

I removed the protective paint bonnet and all the tape. I will let the canopy cure really well before I shoot the clear coat. I will probably shoot both the canopy and the cowl at the same time. The catalyst activated clear coat will not keep long enough for me to shoot the canopy then work on the cowl and get it ready for primer and paint. So for now, we will just let the canopy hide in a secure dust free, dark hidden place. (Under my stairs in the coat closet. LOL) Crazy thing about this paint, (Wings West RC) is that it doesn't look like it lays down smooth. It gives the impression of an almost "Orange Peel" effect. But true to their word, Wings West states that once the paint cures and dries a bit, it becomes smooth as silk. We all know the Pitts painting sage right? And once it was dried and the clear coat on, it was simply beautiful. Still is to this date. Looks as fresh and crisp as the day it was shot over a year ago. I am certain the 330 paint will turn out the same way.

View attachment 104056 View attachment 104057

So that is it for tonight guys. I am going to "try" to get to the cowl tomorrow night. I would like to at least start sanding on it. We'll see how that goes. These 14 hour days don't allow much shop time. Come to think of it, they don't allow for much of "anything" time. LOL

More later fellas....

That looks great and match looks good to. Now are you going to sand the the green or just clear over it as is .

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
That looks great and match looks good to. Now are you going to sand the the green or just clear over it as is .
Nope, no sanding the green. According to Wings West RC, they said leave it alone until it's ready to be clear coated. So leave it alone I shall!