• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot 40% 330 Recover and Build

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Nah I got better things to do. LOL

Now tell us what it is.
Better things to do? Liiiike??? Hee hee... all in due time.

I'm along for the ride as well, Rob. Can't wait to see the BIG Extra get a new scheme. So which of your other schemes are you going to adapt, your Behemoth Yak #2 or your S12? . . . . . . . . . . :laughing:.
Actually, you're kind of on track. But not so much. Clear as mud now? LOL.

Something tells me "Baby" getting re-born as "Big Baby" . So.... Big Baby Maybe scheme ???
Sounds like an old George Carlin Joke involving birth control o_O.
There is "only" one "Baby". She can't be reproduced, or even duplicated. NO BC needed. Even ole' George can't talk me into that.

Four reds and plane life can not get better than that just wish I had your problems trying to decide what to do. Well it looks like you are going to busy for the next while, and we will all be watching to see how you do it. New radio a change in servos this going to be an interesting winter and good for us to follow.
And I have first rights to the little red if you have difficulty’s trying to find a plane for it, I can help you out no problem.
Four red heads are good. But 10 is even better. What is better than that? Four blonde heads to go along with the 10 redheads. Wow, too many heads here to keep track of.
:spongebob:
I am pretty sure I will find something for the 110. I am thinking for next year....an Extreme Flight 105" 580. That is yet to be seen. Too many things going on right now to even think that far in advance.

Hey Kelly,

I thought about Baby too, but Baby's color scheme isn't that intricate so it shouldn't take him that long.

You're telling your age, Old Man. I remember listening to George Carlin cassettes when I was not old enough to and laughing so hard my side were sore for hours afterwards. Now, who was I calling old? . . . . . . :rolleyes:.
Does this mean my age is showing as well? I remember watching him when he was still....ah hum, "young"? Oiy. LOL

Hell I'm a young guy but enjoy going back and listening to Carlins stuff. Got a 900 page book at the house with lots of his stuff in it that I laughed the entire time i was reading it.
The guy is definitely way ahead of his time. Remember Bill and Teds Excellent Adventures? Oh my gosh, what a classic. WAY!!! Hee hee

Let me know if the 110 will ever be for sale. Two thumbs up overall on the acquirements.
Thank you... It was definitely a stroke of luck finding both of them brand new and sill untouched so to speak. But I am pretty sure the 110 red headed beast will have a new home in the spring or early summer. New home I mean as in airframe. :yesss:

Ok, so I will let the cat out of the bag. I wasn't going to until I was certain of the scheme I wanted to do. But this one is definitely first on the list of "Wants". I just don't know if I can pull it off. There is one other option I am toying with. I am first going to see just how much work this one is going to be.

So you're all wondering? Well, I think I posted a photo or two of these wheel pants way back when I got the replacement Behemoth Yak (2). I chose to "NOT" use the wheel pants because, well....who puts pants on a Yak? Maybe Spats, but not pants. Plus, I didn't want to hide those pretty Airman Wheels. So I kept these pants around just for the sake of having them. I had been thinking, "Wouldn't it be cool to have a covering scheme done to match these pants?" The scheme on the Behemoth Yak (2) is close, but not really close enough. So I wanted to design one that more closely matches them for the 330. And since the pants are the exact size that goes to the 330, why not use them right? I have two other sets of wheel pants to match the scheme of the 330 now. But as mentioned, I am just not too fond of that scheme. The new 5.25" Airman Wheels for the 330 should be here Thursday. And now I am thinking..."Why would I want to hide those pretty wheels either"? Oh my...decisions, decisions. Ain't this hobby great? LOL. Some of you may be wondering why I am once again going with Airman wheels instead of White Rose. Well the truth is this. I have done my homework and though the White Rose are very nice indeed. Vern is just about one of the nicest guys you can talk to. However, the new White Rose uses a completely different tire than what they used to. And personally, I am not fond of it. Secondly, they use a Nylon or Plastic bushing instead of the ball bearing like the Airman wheels. The White Rose I put on the Baby Yak-ster look amazing. But to be honest? They are really noisy when rolling. The Airman are quiet as a church mouse and very very smooth. Plus I do like the composition of the Du-bro tires on the Airman wheels. Especially since I figured out how to replace them inexpensively. But the wheels are another story and we'll visit that more later. Lets get back to the 330 scheme.

Here are some photos of the pants from the Yak that have the scheme I want to do for the 330.

20171128_203321.jpg 20171128_203331.jpg 20171128_203354.jpg 20171128_203404.jpg 20171128_203410.jpg

I think if I do this scheme to match the pants, I will definitely do the top of the plane....i.e., Canopy/Hatch, rear turtle deck and up the vertical fin in the "True Red". Through the center of the fuse, I want to do the Gold as is on the pants. But the bottom of the fuse is where I get fuzzy. Do I split the fuse in the middle and use black at the front and white at the rear? Or do I take the time to duplicate the checkers? Ya'll know how much I don't like checkers. Sometimes ya have to live with it. Like my H-9 Sukhoi. I just don't know if I have the skill or patience to pull off such a feat to make the airframe match. And here I thought the scheme on the Jtec Pitts was a challenge. Oh how I love the punishment. LOL. The other option I have been toying with is a similar but just a shade different scheme of what is on the Behemoth Yak (1). I absolutely LOVE that Apple Green, white, black and silver together. I loved my first Yak simply because of the scheme. That is why I recovered it that way. Now I am thinking the 330 would look really cool with a very similar layout with the same colors. Of course if I did that, I certainly would so not sand and paint these wheel pants. I would use a set that came with the airframe.

So now it is time for you guys to chime in. Give me some ideas and some suggestions to think about. I have yet to order any covering so the table is still unset. The silver ware is still in the drawer. Is it possible to pull off the first scheme and make it look nice? Or would it be a "loud mess"? How about the Green scheme from the first Yak? Or hey, how about this? Ideas that this old man can do without thinking about it? LOL

Ok everyone, I gotta hit the shower as 4 a.m. comes early as we all know. Thank you all once again for your continued indulgence and loyal support. None better are there than the awesome boys of Giant Scale News!!!

Last edited:

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey Rob,

If anybody can pull off a scheme like that, you can. You are right about the checkerboard being a PITA, but I love them on a plane. You could cut back on them and use them as an accent.

You could always cut flames and do a scheme similar to Doug's friends' big Comp ARF Sukhoi. . . . . :laughing:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
The paint job on those wheel pants is mighty nice Rob. You going to air brush the canopy and cowl as well? I wish I had the paint skills to do work like that! I would never need to send anything back if ya know what I mean;).

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey Rob,

If anybody can pull off a scheme like that, you can. You are right about the checkerboard being a PITA, but I love them on a plane. You could cut back on them and use them as an accent.

You could always cut flames and do a scheme similar to Doug's friends' big Comp ARF Sukhoi. . . . . :laughing:
Thank you David. I appreciate the vote of confidence. The big Comp Ark Sukhoi is simply amazing. I would have loved to owned it just for the scheme. But were I to do something like that, then there would be two of the same scheme. Guess I want my own. LOL

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
The paint job on those wheel pants is mighty nice Rob. You going to air brush the canopy and cowl as well? I wish I had the paint skills to do work like that! I would never need to send anything back if ya know what I mean;).
Thanks Kelly, Yes the paint is very appealing. That is why I was wanting to do a covering scheme to match. Air brush? Are you mad....man? A mad man more like. LOL.... I barely got through the painting of the cowl on the Pitts. And now you want me to air brush? Ha.... Since the top of the canopy/hatch is covering I won't need to paint that. But the cowl on the other hand...yeah, Hey... @Jetpainter, want a paint job? happy-nodding-smiley-face-emoticon.gif

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ok, now I have gone and done it. Y'all remember the back and forth debate revolving around the Pitts scheme? Ya, well I got to thinking..... And that is where I did it. Yup, went to the web and what do you know? TONS of 330SC photos. Now I am done for. So many to choose from. I know I said I wanted "MY" own design...but now I am thinking....why not a duplicate of a full scale? Hmm....
pondering-and-thinking-smiley-emoticon.gif
3.jpg 1193031.jpg CFqoo.jpg MJ-Extra-330SC-image-061LR.jpg

Not as many really cool schemes to choose from like there was for the Pitts. But still some nice ones. I bet if I kept looking, I would find others too. But it's a start right?
So...input guys. Back to that wall I ran into last year. Someone want to help me knock it down? LOL