• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot 40% 330 Recover and Build

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
A little trim/covering progress on the 330 tonight. I chose to start with something really simple for a couple of reasons. First, I wanted to get back into the covering mood without a fully intensified devotion this evening. That will happen tomorrow but needed to start somewhere. Second reason, I found with the last precut custom scheme I did I was totally confused and completely whacked out with all those little precut pieces. So process of elimination should aid in the correct placement this time. Lol. Just the left and right side of the rudder tonight. Tomorrow I will tackle the tops of the stabs/elevators and maybe start covering the main wings. I definately want to get the firewall set in the motor box tomorrow as well, so much of the covering will depend on that phase. Once that is complete, I can focus on the fuse covering.
20180505_224324.jpg 20180505_230832.jpg
More tomorrow!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
So yeah, not even did I sleep in a wink this morning. Too excited to start seeing my devious plot unfold. Morning bathroom break, walk the little guy and dig into that covering roll. Oh my "STARS". Lots of them. LOL.... But getting an idea of placement with a slight deviation that hopefully will make the big 330 unique in its own way. Got started with the top of the right stab/elevator.

First the Ultracote Apple Green,

20180506_084817.jpg 20180506_084836.jpg

then the Black star

20180506_090713.jpg

and finally a Silver star to offset the color tones.

20180506_094016.jpg

Hmm.....me likes.

20180506_094025.jpg 20180506_094042.jpg 20180506_094048.jpg 20180506_094101.jpg

I have to make minor adjustments to the covering to properly fit the correct orientation of the surface being covered. Due to the airframe this scheme was actually designed for, all the covering is close for the 330. But still minor adjustments are necessary. I am going to break away from the covering for a bit now that I can see what it is going to look at. I want to get that firewall set and then back on the covering later today.

Still more to come....

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey Rob,

It looks like you first Behemoth Yak is going to have a twin. With that and the CS out of Baby, you will certainly have a winner of an Extra. Not a 260 mind you, but a winner non the less. . . . . . :laughing:

pawnshopmike

Staff member
So yeah, not even did I sleep in a wink this morning. Too excited to start seeing my devious plot unfold. Morning bathroom break, walk the little guy and dig into that covering roll. Oh my "STARS". Lots of them. LOL.... But getting an idea of placement with a slight deviation that hopefully will make the big 330 unique in its own way. Got started with the top of the right stab/elevator.

First the Ultracote Apple Green,

View attachment 103267 View attachment 103268

then the Black star

View attachment 103269

and finally a Silver star to offset the color tones.

View attachment 103270

Hmm.....me likes.

View attachment 103271 View attachment 103272 View attachment 103273 View attachment 103274

I have to make minor adjustments to the covering to properly fit the correct orientation of the surface being covered. Due to the airframe this scheme was actually designed for, all the covering is close for the 330. But still minor adjustments are necessary. I am going to break away from the covering for a bit now that I can see what it is going to look at. I want to get that firewall set and then back on the covering later today.

Still more to come....
Looking great bro. That Apple Green is one of my favorites.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey Rob,

It looks like you first Behemoth Yak is going to have a twin. With that and the CS out of Baby, you will certainly have a winner of an Extra. Not a 260 mind you, but a winner non the less. . . . . . :laughing:
Well not exactly a twin. But definately an addition to the Behemoth family. This 330 is one big plane. I'm looking forward to this one with great anticipation. My 260 just flew so well. It was so predictable I could always count on its every move. Been told the 330 is just as comfortable in flight. Guess we'll find out soon.

Looking great bro. That Apple Green is one of my favorites.
Mine too bro. Guess that's why I decided to once again combine the colors on this plane. Can't wait to have it all covered.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks to my awesome son @Shayne Epley and all his really cool shop toys, I now have a brand new double laminated firewall for the 330. Two 3/16" and one 1/8" backer for a total overall (+) 1/2" thick firewall. Pretty sure this will be more than strong enough to support that beast 157cs yankin' on it.
View attachment 103261 View attachment 103262
I plan to start setting the new firewall tomorrow. But tonight? Aww yeah, I'm gonna play with some covering.
View attachment 103263
Stay tuned everyone.
Ok that fire wall is never going to fail. 3 laminates up 1/2 inch. At least you have a nice big glue joint all the way around.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Sorry but a little off topic you are Pilot guy among us. Have you ever had Decathlon from pilot or have you ever flown one looking at the 107 inch wing span one. I am looking at maybe buying one. What do you Think.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Sorry but a little off topic you are Pilot guy among us. Have you ever had Decathlon from pilot or have you ever flown one looking at the 107 inch wing span one. I am looking at maybe buying one. What do you Think.
Though I have never owned one myself, my friend has two of them. The 47%, 180 inch wingspan and the 107" like you are wanting. I have flown both of them. Both of them fly very well. It would be very difficult to go wrong with one of the pilot RC decathlons. I actually have been contemplating getting one myself.