• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Philosophical questions on breaking a motor in... (Not an oil thread!!)

I have a question on what happens to the needles of the carb, once a motor gets broken in.

I have heard some say, that as it breaks in, the carbs needles settings gets "leaner".
and others say, the needle settings are "richer".

I cannot find the answer to this question, but

I have done a significant amount of research and reading on this subject, and have made one discovery:

there seems to be a significant amount of disagreement on what is a break in procedure and what oil should be used, how the break in should be, etc...

what i did learn, is that the cylinder wall inner surface, is not a perfectly smooth surface. it is, from manufacturing, on a microscopic level a roughened surface, reason being, to help with oil lubrication/ adhesion of oil to cylinder wall.

the surface is "porous" in that there are peaks and valleys.
in the valleys, the oil can "hang out" while the ring passes by.

when the motor is brand new, the peaks are higher, due to being brand new.
as the motor breaks in, there is wear of this "peaks" and thus the seating effect of the rings onto the cylinder wall.

The catch, is that during the break in process, if the motor is allowed to over heat, there can be a glazing of the cylinder wall.

this can result in a loss of oil adhesion and thus, no lubrication, this then can result in wear of the cylinder.

ideally, a well lubricated area can result in no wear (but probably in minimal wear), if the break in process is done correctly.

and for these reasons, it is recommended that the motor be put under a light load or a normal loads, but not a high load.

the only problem, is, i cannot find where it mentions the motor becomes "rich" once broken in.

You just discovered the major difference between old-school glow engine workings and the new-school gas engine workings!! The bottom line is that you tune a gas engine to almost optimum performance at the beginning (i.e. not too rich, not too lean)!!

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Yep. And as all of my gassers have done (3dub, DA, DLE,EME) they richened on the low side telling me time to final tune for the conditions where I am at geographically because air density changes.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
So not to confuse either ortho. Once the engine has used friction to hone and lapp the piston, ring and cylinder wall to tight tolerances and smooth surfaces. The compression will be at its optimum peak performance. More of the fuel air charge is being kept in the combustion chamber now causing a slight richening.

would it be safe to say, that at 1st, there is more "blow-by" and as they seat / mate, there is less blow by, and thus, less requirement for gasoline?

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
would it be safe to say, that at 1st, there is more "blow-by" and as they seat / mate, there is less blow by, and thus, less requirement for gasoline?

Yep! ;) and remember the reciprocating motion and how induction is achieved in most of our modern engines with higher crank case compression the fuel boost is equally improved putting slightly more into the combustion chamber.

Last edited:
ok, one more question, as the motor gets broken in, would you expect its running temperature to be same, higher, or lower?

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
As compression gets better the higher the temps (pressure/temperature relationship) but nothing that is really noticeable if cooled properly. Your not going to see a magic number here because of constant changes to load and air flow. I would look at it as once I new my engine has broken in by the richening "of the low end" is just another indicator that the engine is ready to put into use that additional torque and power (that is now available) by leaning it a tad. That's why you here guys say I now see "improved power and rpm's".
Because the engine is now up to it! make sense to you? If not FAIL! lol

And I have a hunch you are wondering something about how the low needle affects the high needle??? for your next question. lol
But be honest here......and I am being sincere.....As a man (you) of science and surgery. You must already know this stuff right???
This aint "rocket science" ya know and I think you know I like to ramble about engines! lol :deadhorse:

yes, you are right on that!!! LOL!!! i would hope so by now too...
That, i can attest, i have had many a days of pondering upon (and mistakes) until i learned how to tune these 2 strokes.

Last edited: