• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

PAU Owners Thread

Bipeguy03

150cc
I haven't seen too much information on the newer Ultimate. Who has one? How does it fly? Can it 3D well? Can it keep up with the monoplanes if you try? I really want to get into the 100 cc class and the slightly shorter fuse and compact wings fit my storage needs better than a 100-120cc Edge/Extra from any of the good manufacturers. That and I love biplanes.

Like @sweetpea I also have the older BME design, and it is far and away my favorite airplane. Like Terry said, the KE mixing on mine is actually less than the mixing I needed for my 30% Extra.

I will say that tumbling is the Ulti's forte, the huge rudder and short wings really lets you wrap it up tight!

As with all bipes, the best attribute it strength per weight. I fly mine HARD, like really hard and this is it's 6th flying season with only standard maintenance.

Haven't yet gotten my hands on the new version yet, but it could only be even better as it has 2 inches more wing, and lighter construction.

10629670_1541178376102987_5116791088207747876_n.jpg
52498573E.jpg

Short answer is yes; there are a couple of videos out there, but most eloquent is this one:
Keep in mind that this one is powered by just a DA-85.
What made you or Gaby choose the DA-85? Is it for balance and weight? I noticed that both videos on the PAU site showed the DA-85 rather than the 120 (you can see the single head in that Wenatchee video). It doesn't look like it's hurting for power at all even with the 85, but I imagine it's absolutely ridiculous with a 120. The question is about how much weight it would add between the extra cylinder and whatever weight needed to balance the plane out vs the setup of the DA-85. I'm not exactly married to the idea of one or the other, since I don't have any gear at this moment.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Have a 111 in mine as well, being the older design and having smoke it weighs in at 30lbs and has great power. I also had to mount the batts back a ways as well.

A great thing about the Ulti is the wide range of engine possibilities, I imagine the newer lighter version with a 120 would fly like an awesome foamy lol :D

Whatever you choose, you won't be disappointed!

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
What made you or Gaby choose the DA-85? Is it for balance and weight? I noticed that both videos on the PAU site showed the DA-85 rather than the 120 (you can see the single head in that Wenatchee video). It doesn't look like it's hurting for power at all even with the 85, but I imagine it's absolutely ridiculous with a 120. The question is about how much weight it would add between the extra cylinder and whatever weight needed to balance the plane out vs the setup of the DA-85. I'm not exactly married to the idea of one or the other, since I don't have any gear at this moment.
Both videos are of Ken's airplane: he used the 85 to show how well this plane can fly with that smaller engine. Then the batteries were mouted in the front for proper CG.
I had a DA-100 in

sweetpea

100cc
My batts are upfront in the older one, but remember I moved my servos to the tail for push/pull. I also have smoke so my weight is on the higher end. You wouldn't know it with the 106 though.

Personnally, I'd get a 100-120cc engine for it if you don't already have an 85.

There is only 1 downside to the PAU bipe. It takes time to attach the flying wires for flight. But honestly.....that extra 5 mins is worth the smiles you get in flight!!!!!

I'm P.O. d right now because in my move from VA to OH my cabane support in the fuse got slightly bent. So the plane is down until I can remove it and fix it without damaging the wood it is attached to.

sweetpea

100cc
Ken-H proved you can put any good engine in the 85 and up range and this plane will perform.

Go with what you can afford and the brand you are comfortable with!

Ken-H

Centerpunchit!
If I did another and still lived at sea level i'd do a DA-85 again. I loved my 85's and suited my style. I also love my DA-120 now that I think about...lol. Now at 4,000 plus feet, it would need the bigger twins. Does not need the bigger engine for balance though.