• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

PAU Owners Thread

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
7oneWo1f;12409 wrote:

Now this guy does more to stress a plane than I would:

(Above video is why I bought the PAU). Just sayin'

That may be true, but also Gaby (like Spencer or Daniel Holman) knows how to manage speed/stress better than most. He can see and feel the stress, and knows how to manage it.

In contrast, I have seen quite a few lesser known guys put more stress than the top "pros" do (not a reflection on 2robinhood, but a general observation), often with less than ideal outcomes.

We all know that we put our RC planes through a number of G's that well exceed what a human body can take; yet Greg Poe (now dead) reached 10 G's routinely in his air shows.

Food for thought: if you exceed 10 G's on a 17 lbs plane like the 50cc Edge, the plane is subjected to forces exceeding 170 lbs; on a 25 lbs plane (like the 100cc Extra 300SP) that's over 250 lbs! That is not yet factoring in the suddenness of motion (like pop top, crankshafts, blenders, etc.) that puts incredible stress on the structures.

It is indeed quite an achievement that today's planes can take as much punishment as they do...we keep testing the limits, and sometimes we reach (or exceed) them...

Tseres

150cc
My Son has not been flying all summer. He's pretty rusty. He made it out fir the first time last weekend. He was doing a Outside Knife Edge Turn. He gave it to much Elevator and and practically stopped the plane in the air. I guess you can call it an outside wall. The throttle was wide open. I commented to him that that is a good way to break the wings. He said he knows and he didn't mean to do that.

Landed the plane and inspected it. Didn't find anything wrong. That don't mean nothing happened inside that we couldn't see. Only time will tell. It's one of th old ARCs and are no longer availabe so I'm pretty sure there are no spare parts.

Astrohog

70cc twin V2
A friend of mine had the 1st gen. PAU 100cc Ultimate rigged with an Eagle Tree (I think?) telemetry system. He asked me to take the sticks and see how many G's I could pull. I put that plane through HELL! Ended up pulling 16 G's!!! (that is when the flying wire attachment point pulled through the fuselage side and ended flying for the day!)

I was impressed!

[MENTION=313]2robinhood[/MENTION]; Sorry for your loss! It's always a bummer to lose an old favorite!! One thing I have learned is that after the depressing part of stripping the gear out of the old, I ALWAYS anticipate the excitement of the NEW one!

Regards,

Astro

Islandflyer;12412 wrote:

We all know that we put our RC planes through a number of G's that well exceed what a human body can take; yet Greg Poe (now dead) reached 10 G's routinely in his air shows.

Food for thought: if you exceed 10 G's on a 17 lbs plane like the 50cc Edge, the plane is subjected to forces exceeding 170 lbs; on a 25 lbs plane (like the 100cc Extra 300SP) that's over 250 lbs! That is not yet factoring in the suddenness of motion (like pop top, crankshafts, blenders, etc.) that puts incredible stress on the structures.

True.

I have measured -15.39 gs on a ~60" airframe, doing a WOT blender...sensor roughly at the center of gravity. But if I think about it, doing a WOT crankshaft, say 80 mph to 0, converting the kinnetic energy into end over end angular rotational energy, the number of gs experienced at the emppennage due to a combination of deceleration and centripetal forces would probably blow my mind, if not anybody else's.

If a person can enter a KE spin from WOT ... same thing. It is amazing planes stay together to me too. A 90 degree flip turn ... I cannot do these yet ... makes me wonder too ... those thing have got to stress an airframe, at least it seems that way to me.

Tseres

150cc
Here are the pictures of the old ARC Edge. This plane is perfect for the DA50. Power to weight is awesome. With all the up sizing that's going on this size of plane is going extinct the 30cc size planes grow so much that it will be back to the 50cc size. LOL.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

12490=5771-2012-03-24_16-51-07_466.jpg
12490=5771-2012-03-24_16-51-07_466.jpg
12490=5772-DSC_0006.jpg
12490=5772-DSC_0006.jpg
12490=5773-DSC_0136.jpg
12490=5773-DSC_0136.jpg
12490=5774-DSC_0142.jpg
12490=5774-DSC_0142.jpg

Bipeguy03

150cc
That thing is gorgeous!!!! Just one problem....... The inflight pics are missing a very important set of parts.....

Wheel pants are very important, pieces of aerodynamic technology.... It's a wonder the airplane would even fly without them!!!! ;)

Tseres

150cc
LOL. The original wheel pants where somewhere at Joe Nall. Didn't live through the abuse there. I think there were 2 minor crashes that week. When the flight pictures were taken they were sitting in my sons garage waiting for me to put them on for him. Then he decided he didn't want them on cause we were flying off of grass and he didn't want to mess them up. The wheel pants got put on when We traded planes and I had the Edge.