• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

PAU Owners Thread

2robinhood

70cc twin V2
AEROSHELDON;12347 wrote: but.... who's fault is it? PAU? LOL

Not saying anything bad or putting 7oneWo1f down, but maybe he thinks pop tops aren't stressful on an airframe.

Like I said, this plane amazed me.

AEROSHELDON

70cc twin V2
to be honest, any of the "top 4 or 5" manufacturers planes amaze me. I see people put stresses on them that should kill them instantly and they keep on going. The forces on them are crazy big.

Geno

70cc twin V2
Sucks to see...but when we fly our stuff hard eventually stuff happens and expires...this I know lol. A new plane always helps with pain...I find anyways lol

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I hate to see this.

Many times, a component of a plane will partially fail from prior stresses, and the last maneuver is just the straw that breaks the camel's back.

What can kill a well built plane is the accumulation of super high stress maneuvers, rather than one given maneuver.

The top free style pilots (Gaby, Daniel Holman, and the likes) put extraordinary amounts of stress on their planes, but they also spend time inspecting the planes very closely; this goes long way in preventing fatal failures, by detecting a potential problem early.

3dbandit

100cc
Islandflyer;12395 wrote: I hate to see this.

Many times, a component of a plane will partially fail from prior stresses, and the last maneuver is just the straw that breaks the camel's back.

What can kill a well built plane is the accumulation of super high stress maneuvers, rather than one given maneuver.

The top free style pilots (Gaby, Daniel Holman, and the likes) put extraordinary amounts of stress on their planes, but they also spend time inspecting the planes very closely; this goes long way in preventing fatal failures, by detecting a potential problem early.

+1000000000

Well Said Herve.

I am a fan of constant inspections pre- and post- flight.

If a glue joint could have slowly been separating and that one last pop-top could have made the final break..

I've began a practice that I picked up flying IMAC; Re-wet glue joints (not just CA, Sometimes epoxy and glass are what's necessary), and do it often. Every couple flights I like to pull the canopy and inspect everything to make sure all structures are sound.

[MENTION=313]2robinhood[/MENTION] It is very sad to see such a beautiful plane go like that. I hope you get another one in the air soon.

-Jacob

Agree on the inspection. Essential.

Don't care if you don't agree with me, but I'm always interested in hearing why. Just a difference of opinion. I'd make a call, and I'd also be careful about posting photos of planes while claiming it just broke while doing a pop top. For all of the pros here who wouldn't judge, there are potential new customers who would. A plane breaking because of repeated pop top would be a turn off.

I beat the crap out of my planes in the air, and if a plane falls apart in the air after an inspection and no previous hard landings or things I've installed coming apart, or servo flutter, etc., I'd make a call and discuss. I'm sure I'd learn something, whether it is something to do to not have it happen again, or what plane not to buy. This has nothing to do with PAU...I trust based on videos that the plane will handle whatever I throw at it in the air. Just a general comment.

I plan to retire airframes and rebuild servos and other components if possible as I guesstimate they should be, but of course stuff happens (stuff has happened to me, and I learned.)

Obviously, a lot of that damage happened after impact.

2robinhood;12356 wrote: Not saying anything bad or putting 7oneWo1f down, but maybe he thinks pop tops aren't stressful on an airframe.

Like I said, this plane amazed me.

I do the most violent pop tops I've ever seen in real life or on video. I think some other things I do are more stressful than that, and other things I don't do. Fast, tight loops I know put more G forces on the center of the plane than pop tops (but in a different direction). Tight loops are pretty stupid for no wow factor. I suspect (but have not measured) that high speed crank shafts are more brutal than pop tops. Full throttle KE spins might be tough on the plane, but I guess they are tougher on bearings.

Anyway, I'm not a mechanical guru...just spewing a combination of actual measurements and speculation. I don't do full throttle KE spins anymore because I get the results I want with hardly any throttle.

Now this guy does more to stress a plane than I would:

(Above video is why I bought the PAU). Just sayin'