• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Ordered my Su-26

rmyers

70cc twin V2
This is an old design from the BME days. Had many discussions about it with a few people. Everyone agrees that there is no way to beef up the gear area and have a canister tunnel. People put up with it cause they like the way the plane flies. I'm one of them. However I eliminated the canister tunnel by putting a ply all the way across. I believe if I don't do anything stupid again, it will last me a long time.

But remember stupid happens.

rmyers

70cc twin V2
The plywood used on this old plane is terrible, we pinned the firewall and it felt hollow when drilling.

The landing gear plate is held in by some balsa tri-stock. Notice the tri-stock is not even well fitted and notice how one side looks so much worse than the other.
View attachment 52527 View attachment 52528

I had quality control issues similarly with mine. In fact my plane only had tri-stock on one side of the bottom of the gear plate. I expressed my issues to Herve privately and he responded appropriately. Based upon the way the plane flies it's a keeper. We just have to deal with the issues.

rmyers

70cc twin V2
I guess I'm a little late to the party. I just wanted a good light 50cc size airframe. And not an Extra or an Edge. I think this Sukhoi still fills the bill.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
The plywood used on this old plane is terrible, we pinned the firewall and it felt hollow when drilling.

The landing gear plate is held in by some balsa tri-stock. Notice the tri-stock is not even well fitted and notice how one side looks so much worse than the other.
View attachment 52527 View attachment 52528
thank you for continuing to update us on how unhappy you are Bill.

Last edited:

sweetpea

100cc
My only unhappiness is the gear.....but that isn't a PAU problem, that is a Sukhoi problem. When you bow the gear they flex more. Wildhare got around that by putting an alum brace between the gear about 3 inches down from the fuse. It destroyed the scale look of the plane and it gave the gear very little flex in a hard landing.

I've owned about 3 different brands of SU-26 now. Each one had issues with the gear when you land hard due to flex of a split gear. Land Soft and its not an issue. The PAU was still be far the best flying one. The Russian fiberglass model I had was the best scale, but it wasn't designed very well (used planter foam for the hinge line of the wings). It also ended up very heavy and the supplied gear couldn't hold the weight so I bought TNT alum gear.

I've had way more fun with my PAU and its been problem free for me.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
thank you for continuing to update us on how unhappy you are Bill.
Bill/Rudolph didn't like my comment and asked that I remove him from the site.

Bill Burkert was already banned and it appears he continued to visit us and express his unhappiness via the Rudolph Andersen account. This is all after he pretty thoroughly trashed the PAU Su-26M on FG where I believe he was also banned.

We get it, it's an old design, it's not perfect, etc. etc. I think the consensus though is that it looks great and flies great.

Let's be done crying about it, what do you guys say?

rmyers

70cc twin V2
I'm good. If you require perfection you are better off building it yourself. I remember that thread over on the other site.:focus:

rmyers

70cc twin V2
Bill/Rudolph didn't like my comment and asked that I remove him from the site.

Bill Burkert was already banned and it appears he continued to visit us and express his unhappiness via the Rudolph Andersen account. This is all after he pretty thoroughly trashed the PAU Su-26M on FG where I believe he was also banned.

We get it, it's an old design, it's not perfect, etc. etc. I think the consensus though is that it looks great and flies great.

Let's be done crying about it, what do you guys say?

I might add even though I could select the wood myself. I couldn't build my SU-26 as good as they did in the factory. Not to mention the covering.