• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Older 3W and DA for First 40%er

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
I seen on another thread were da has used engines they will sell you.
I understand that this is on occasion possible. I looked into it a few weeks ago when I was needing a 120 for my new 110, but the price was only about $125.00 less that I could get in a "combo" deal from Extreme Flight. I opted to just get a new one from EF.

You have absolutely no worries with used DA engines. My SOP when selling them, is to send them in to DA for a check-up. If they need anything I pay for it. The engine then goes directly from DA to the new owner. This is also what I would require of anyone, other than someone I knew very well, to do if I Were going to purchase a used DA engine.

I have a DA 150 that I am thinking about selling. It has been on the shelf for about 3 years. Sent it to DA for check up. $80 later it is on its way back to me with a clean bill of health and ready for use or worry free sale. I have no issue buying used DA engines if they have been checked out by DA first.

camss69

70cc twin V2
The last engine I bought was a used DA 120. I'm normally a never buy used kind of guy but that engine has been awesome. I figured with the DA I'd buy it and fly it and if I had a problem then send it into DA. DA recommended I do the same. I did ask the guy how he did break-in and what oils he ran. He answered RedLine from day 1 so I was good with that.

Electronics on the other hand..... Still haven't been brave enough to buy used yet...

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
You've got a lot of patience so if you are confident in the build I'd just buy new. I had to look back and it looks like your coming up on the 7th year anniversary of starting your build so whats a little longer?

I'm kind of one of those that never buy's used engines or electronics. Never know where they have been. I will say though that I have no trouble buying used DA engines because I know it takes one trip back to them and it will be gooder than new.
Personally, I am going to go with Terry on this one. If you can afford it and have the time...buy new. However I will say that I have purchased one "nearly" new 3dub from a friend. He has an impeccable reputation and a very trustworthy individual. I don't think you will find a more straight up guy than Joe Mitchel @Flyrcjoe . The 3dub 170 classic I got from him had maaaaybe two or three gallons through her. And he broke her in absolutely perfectly. She is a monster. I also purchased a used 3w 212 for my big Yak. But again, the gentleman has a reputation that preceeds him, so I really haven't been too concerned. My 157cs was brand new as was all my other motors. It is really very difficult to "know" for certain the break in, use and care for things such as motors and electronics. DA has it's advantages like Terry said. If you buy one used and have doubts? Send it to the boys at DA and it will be good to go. On the other hand, a 3w is pretty tough to destroy. They are unbeatable and unmatched for quality and dependability. (in my opinion) Unless you are just plain ignorant and totally abusive, a 3w motor that has been properly broken in and taken care of is a very sound investment that is one class act that is tough to compete with.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I had a 3W 56 years ago. I do know the Tillotson can be harder to tune but I'm confident I can handle it.
I am not absolute authority on tuning, but I can offer what I know has worked for me. Tillotson carbs really aren't too hard to tune once you understand them. Unlike a Walbro or knockoff Walbro, a Tillotson requires "VERY" small adjustments to achieve what others require. A little at a time until you "get" there. Once you've found the sweet spot? Leave it alone. Done. :way_to_go:

Yeah I'm going to see if I can find a clean used DA 150/170. If I can't find something that I'm in awe of, I'm just going to wait and get a new DA/3W 170, ZDZ 180, or maybe a GP 176 EVO.

I'm not in any rush right now.

I'm also hoping I can get my 600N and the heli servos I have sold because that will get me pretty close to having the funds for a new engine in the next few months.

Robotech

70cc twin V2
Yeah I'm going to see if I can find a clean used DA 150/170. If I can't find something that I'm in awe of, I'm just going to wait and get a new DA/3W 170, ZDZ 180, or maybe a GP 176 EVO.

I'm not in any rush right now.

I'm also hoping I can get my 600N and the heli servos I have sold because that will get me pretty close to having the funds for a new engine in the next few months.
I believe Cam (Orthobird) has a DA150L and a couple of DA170s for sale. You couldn't ask for a more reputable seller.