• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New Here? Introduce yourself!

gyro

GSN Contributor
View attachment 24559
Howdy all! I have been reading your post and you have got me all excited again. I have been slammed at work and I have been busy with the little kiddos (2,3,&5). Been put my extra cash into guns and ammo lately.

Been reading the forums and I've got the bug again. I have tried my hand at 3d with a handful of .40 size profiles (they're all dead now). I am gonna get a Twisted hobbies foamy next. I would love some input in what to get and how to power it. I have tried 3d on a tight budget it doesn't seem to fly well. Better to foam it up and save your pennies for what you really want.

After reading in this forum for a few days I have come to the conclusion the old geezers at my club in SA TX (Go Spurs Go) don't know much about 3d. In fact I am pretty sure some of the advice I have received set me back a few planes. It's all good I am a happy crasher! My kids love picking up the pieces...

Neal_Scott777, welcome to the site. There are some great threads over in the TH section describing their planes. They all fly well, so don't spend too much time thinking about one, just choose the one you like the looks of best. Their Crack Turbo Beaver is a high-wing that does amazing 3D, it's a blast!

Also, I'm in San Anotnio as well, so PM me and maybe you can join me at the field one day and we can talk planes.

Again, welcome.

alawson999

70cc twin V2
TH is a great way to go - I have 4 of them. Dig through the build logs on this site to find the "blender mods" - a technique using Blenderm tape and Welders cement to strentghten the spot most likely to break. It will make a huge difference in the durability of the airframe, and adds near zero extra weight.

Everyone has preferences, mine are:

I the 24" airframe - the mini YAK - mine has lasted for nearly 2 years now, being flown hundreds of time, and surviving my less than perfect 3D skills
In the 32" airframe - I really enjoy my Laser Lite ; It will do most anything you have the skills to do.

One or both of these is in my SUV everyday - and I try to fly at least a little bit, every day.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Welcome [MENTION=3212]Neal_Scott777[/MENTION]! Boeing guy huh? "777" I'm a "Bus" driver.
TH is the way to go plus a sim which I assume you have. Those two things have saved me lots of $$$. If you're flying in the yard and outside the 32" frames are all great. I've owned the Edge (most stable), Crack Yak- awesome "game changer" for my learning curve and the Crack Laser, also fantastic. The Laser is a nice indoor/ out door option on 2S. The CY on 3 S is good up to 15+mph (only limit is ability to fly it back to you lol! If you like bipes, the Crack Pitts are slower and a bunch of fun. A bit more of a build and a little more fragile by virtue of the added parts.
Power- Chris and the TH team do a great job matching power combos, I'd go with them without hesitation. Have fun, you really can't go wrong.
+1 on the build threads. I'll go dig up Cody's and post it here. It's the one with the blenderm trick- works very well.
http://www.3drcforums.com/showthread.php?t=1367

Last edited by a moderator:

Neal_Scott777

New to GSN!
TH is a great way to go - I have 4 of them. Dig through the build logs on this site to find the "blender mods" - a technique using Blenderm tape and Welders cement to strentghten the spot most likely to break. It will make a huge difference in the durability of the airframe, and adds near zero extra weight.

Everyone has preferences, mine are:

I the 24" airframe - the mini YAK - mine has lasted for nearly 2 years now, being flown hundreds of time, and surviving my less than perfect 3D skills
In the 32" airframe - I really enjoy my Laser Lite ; It will do most anything you have the skills to do.

One or both of these is in my SUV everyday - and I try to fly at least a little bit, every day.

Thanks for the tip. After reading most of the TH threads I noticed everybody had several models from TH. I have yet to find a brand that calls me to buy more because of there outstanding performance. Although I have a list of never buy again and One brand I wouldn't fly if they payed me to do it.

dth7

[/QUOTE]" I have yet to find a brand that calls me to buy more because of there outstanding performance...[/QUOTE]

Well, you have now! Trust us!

Neal_Scott777

New to GSN!
Welcome [MENTION=3212]Neal_Scott777[/MENTION]! Boeing guy huh? "777" I'm a "Bus" driver.
TH is the way to go plus a sim which I assume you have. Those two things have saved me lots of $$$. If you're flying in the yard and outside the 32" frames are all great. I've owned the Edge (most stable), Crack Yak- awesome "game changer" for my learning curve and the Crack Laser, also fantastic. The Laser is a nice indoor/ out door option on 2S. The CY on 3 S is good up to 15+mph (only limit is ability to fly it back to you lol! If you like bipes, the Crack Pitts are slower and a bunch of fun. A bit more of a build and a little more fragile by virtue of the added parts.
Power- Chris and the TH team do a great job matching power combos, I'd go with them without hesitation. Have fun, you really can't go wrong.
+1 on the build threads. I'll go dig up Cody's and post it here. It's the one with the blenderm trick- works very well.
http://www.3drcforums.com/showthread.php?t=1367

Everybody seems to like the little ones just as much as the big ones... Guess I need to order 2 one for the field and one for the back yard. Now they just need a teeny tiny one that you can fly in your living room like a Vapor. Although I feel they are a little pricey for a foamy of that size. But the colt fan following tells me they are worth every penny.

The sims are actually a problem in my house all three of my kids think they need a turn, and my two year old never wants to give it up.

alawson999

70cc twin V2
If I look at mine in terms of cents per flight, they are the least expensive planes I have ever owned.

Divide the cost by the " grin factor" and you get the real value

Just my opinion - draw your own conclusions

dth7

If I look at mine in terms of cents per flight, they are the least expensive planes I have ever owned.

Divide the cost by the " grin factor" and you get the real value

Just my opinion - draw your own conclusions

+1. Like the EF planes TH are always good for giggles while flying. Good to have a foamie in the car for the field on crazy windy days- always good for laughs. Also good entertainment at BBQs! Good luck and have fun. Let us know what you decide and how you like "them"! Oh, there will be "them".

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Here are a couple more members to introduce today! Just want to welcome [MENTION=3213]Terron[/MENTION] [MENTION=3218]Suds[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3217]joecrash43[/MENTION]! Welcome guys and if you would tell us where ya fly and what you fly! Pics gets extra credit!

Suds

50cc
Here are a couple more members to introduce today! Just want to welcome [MENTION=3213]Terron[/MENTION] [MENTION=3218]Suds[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3217]joecrash43[/MENTION]! Welcome guys and if you would tell us where ya fly and what you fly! Pics gets extra credit!

Suds here (aka Rob). Located in the Indianapolis metro area and flying at indywestrc.org. Started flying last summer and my newes additions to the fleet are an FMS Edge 540 to start the year and now a 64" Extreme Flight MXS this past week that saw it's maiden this past Thursday. Don't have any full 3D flyers at the club currently, if there are any solid 3D'ers in the Indy area that would be willing to teach me some tricks, please drop me a line.

Cheers,
Suds
edgeinvert.JPG
mxs.jpg